Why are my EE's losing their muffs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Coop de Grille, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Coop de Grille

Coop de Grille Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    All of my EE's are missing their muffs! I noticed it the other day with my roo and on closer examination almost all of my EE's have lost them. What is going on????

A lot of my hens are bald from the roosters' attentions, but it's not just the girls that have lost their muffs.
    [​IMG]

This guy used to have a beautiful grey beard the same color as his tail feathers.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Someone in your flock is feather plucking/eating. Watch them, and you should be able to identify the culprit/culprits. Fitting the offenders with Pinless Peepers will stop this habit. In picture # 5 it looks as if the sex link is about to snack on some feathers.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    What Sourland said may very well be true. Feather picking is certainly possible. However, another possiblity is that they are beginning to molt. My birds always lose their throat feathers first, including my Easter Egger. If they are at or around 1 year of age, or have gone for a year or more without molting, this may be the cause.

4. Coop de Grille

Coop de Grille Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    I never thought of molting. A lot of my EE's are over a year old. The red roo was hatched 12/21, and the white and the black/yellow roo were hatched in January. I'm going to take a better look at all of them this weekend and see if I see any feather picking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by