Why are my eggs moving?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GothChick, Oct 25, 2010.

1. GothChick

GothChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Ok so this might be a strange question, but my eggs were put on lockdown today and are expected to hatch on the 28th or 29th. I turned off the auto-turner and put each egg in a different section in the bator. Well each time I check the incubator the eggs are in different places. There is no way anything can bump them so why do they keep rolling around? This is my first hatch so I have no idea about any of this stuff. Is this normal? What does it mean?

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    This is the time that they are getting into position within the egg to make the first pip. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. GothChick

Sep 5, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Ok so it's a good thing they are moving then? Most of the eggs left are super dark BCM eggs so it's nearly impossible to candle them. I'm not sure if they were growing or not.

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    As long as they didn't stink when you put them in lockdown, it is great news. Movement and stench = explosion coming soon. Movement and good smell = chicks coming soon. [​IMG]

5. BlueBirdChick

BlueBirdChick On Vacation

Aug 13, 2010
    Absarokee, Montana
    Quote:[​IMG]
    breath GothChick [​IMG] its okay their suppose to do that its a good thing that they are getting ready, if their moving that means yeah theyve grown enough to start getting too big for that egg of theirs. Mine are on lockdown now and moving too [​IMG] Just keep breathing [​IMG] its gonna be okay

6. kburen

kburen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    YAY for you!!

7. GothChick

Sep 5, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Ok thanks! After having to throw out 21 of my original 32 eggs, because I candled on day 10 and they weren't developing or had quit. I will be happy if even one hatches. I also just tried the hatch date calculator thing and it says my hatch date is the 27. I had thought it was the 28th/29th.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by