why are my geese suddenly fighting?! :(

Discussion in 'Geese' started by rachieboo, Jan 25, 2012.

1. rachieboo

rachieboo Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2012
    Hi everyone,
    I recently got two geese from a very well recommended breeder,one is a toulouse and the other is an embdem. I only wanted one goose at first when we went to see the breeder but he had the two girls and said he didn't want to split them up as they are inseparable and would be very upset. So I came home with two gorgeous girls and for the past 2 weeks they have always been together and getting along perfectly until today..the toulouse has been very nasty to my embdem for the whole day and now the embdem seems absolutely terrified of her and doesn't want to be anywhere near to her. The embdem has been becoming close to me over the past fee weeks especially today letting me comfort her when my toulouse was trying to attack her. I was just wondering if there was anything I could do to help them become best of friends again or will I have to separate them?thank you.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Are you sure that they are females?

3. rachieboo

Jan 13, 2012
    He did say they were both females and they have been fine up until now.

4. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    They may be preparing a pecking order for spring.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have a pair of Toulouse geese, gander and goose, who are just about six months old. I got them as goslings. When I put chicks in the Chicken Kindergarten pen inside the coop, Kate was suddenly very interested in them through the wire walls, and in the next couple of day she hissed ay me for the first time EVER. She has hissed at strangers, and a visiting dog, but never me.

Toulouse are slow maturers, but maybe she is feeling her first flush of hormones. Perhaps your Toulouse is feeling the same and she wants to establish dominance over your embden? Just thinking out louse, here...

6. rachieboo

Jan 13, 2012
    Oh really?thank u for the advice!should it stop or die down at all?

7. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    It should die down after awhile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by