Why are my girls so boney???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by winekntrychicks, Nov 14, 2008.

1. winekntrychicks

winekntrychicks Pooper Peeper

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    I would think that at 26-27 weeks they shouldn't be so boney. They are eating lay crumbles, scratch, and oyster shell free will and some times goodies from the kitchen. Any suggestions???

2. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Are they laying?

3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Have they been wormed?

4. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Do they have lice or mites. To find out flip them upside down and look at their feather near their bum. you will see the buggers running around and also see egg "nests" at the base of their feathers. If you do have this dust them with sevin dust from the garden store. dust the coop where they stay. There is also a spray that you can spray on the wood work in the coop to kill off the bugs running around.

5. winekntrychicks

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    They are laying
    They have been wormed
    They have been de louced, etc
    They have been Sevined
    They have been DE'd
    They have fresh water
    They are on Avia Charge....mind you I have been doing all of this with in the last 4 weeks-so far all I notice is loose poo, just loose watery and puffy. I have already treated (4 weeks ago) for Cocci, They are preaning, dust bathing, tail feathers up at attention. We had some heavy rain and the run got soaked (it's covered now)and they pick in the dirt...........

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  6. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    I'm stumped . . .

It may help to actually put them on a scale and see how they compare with the standards.

Here's something that I can't quite figger out - does a pullet actually gain any weight during its first few weeks laying?

Here's what I mean: Just looking around and adding things up - a pullet supposedly gains about 250 grams during its 6th month of life. But, the ovaries and oviduct are almost non-existent prior to maturity. Combined, they weigh something over 100 grams (if I've got that right) when the pullet is laying. And, this isn't taking account some of the developing eggs, I don't believe.

As soon as an egg weighing 60 grams is layed, another one begins its journey down the oviduct. Meanwhile, others are lining up behind it.

So, does the newly laying pullet gain any weight during those first weeks or is she "borrowing" weight from other parts of her body during that time? She may have a good reason to begin to look a little "boney."

Just a thought . . .

Steve

7. winekntrychicks

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    hmmmm....I will have to bring one up tomorrow and weigh her. Their crops all full then empty. I keep the feeder full of all items as listed, so they eat at free will......I'm stumped as well

8. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    If you want to put a little weigh on them, add some corn to their diet. Some every other day or so. Just like feeding candy to the kids.

9. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    i toss out about a hand full of corn per each bird and I pick clover and grass almost everyday and throw in. My EE's look a little bonier than my RIR, I think its because their backs are broader. I cant answer your question but suggest if it may be the breed.

10. urbanhatch

urbanhatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    New York
    I think it is the breed. I have Seramas and show girls. They eat like crazy and they are NOT fat. Do not worry so much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by