Why are my healthy hens dying?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by maygem53069, Feb 22, 2013.

1. maygem53069

maygem53069 New Egg

Feb 22, 2013
    I am new to the chicken world and did not know I could get so attached when I started. They are such wonderful pets and they are always so happy to see me.

About 6 months ago I bought 15 chicks. We were left two Rhode Island Red hens by the previous home owner and one of them is still a layer. When the chicks were about 3 months old we put them all in the same coop together and we have lost 6 chicks since then starting in November with the most recent one today. They coop is large and cleaned at least once a week. They always have pleanty of fresh clean water and I feed them the highest quality organic corn, soy and GMO free feed. I also mix grit and oyster shells with the feed.

The chicks all behave normally when I visit them each day. I have examined each dead chick and there are no outward signs of trama or disease.

Please help! I am so sad and so are my daughters. They each have a special chick,still living, and I do not want to have to tell them their's has passed away.

If it matters, we started with 5 black and white chicks and are now down to 4, 5 Rhode Island Reds and we are down to 3, and 5 "Easter Egg" chickens (forgive my ignorance of their real name) and we still have 4 left (one turned out to be a rooster) along with one white chicken.

One other thing, all the chicks seems to want to nest in the same box as the laying hen. Could she be harming them? A few are just starting to lay.

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    It could be that those younger pullets are catching something from the older hen which may have immunity, but is a carrier of a certain disease. Are there any symptoms exhibited by the birds before they died? Were any of the young birds vaccinated for anything like Mareks disease (Range paralysis)?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by