Why are my hens at each other?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bloom chicks, Feb 12, 2012.

1. bloom chicks

bloom chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    I don't know why but my hens are pecking and fighting each other. My rooster went to stop the fighting and whatever they did he had blood on his comb, not a lot but enough for me to notice. Could it be the really cold weather we just received. They are free range so they have lots of room and their feeders are full. I did however keep them in the coop a little longer this morning because it was in the 20's I let them out around 10am. Thanks for any advice to input.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I wouldn't change their schedule. I would let them decide whether they want to go out in cold weather. Mine were out at daybreak this morning, as usual, but probably spent more time in the coop throughout the day. They certainly did yesterday, when the temps also ranged around 25 to 45, but when it was much windier.

Might be a good time to check for lice / mites, or just refresh the Sevin in their area.

3. bloom chicks

bloom chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    Thank you I let them out early this morning like normal. It is still in the 20's. I did notice that my 6 week old chicks stayed in the coop most of the day. Their mama has let them do their own thing now. She also doesn't sleep with them anymore.

Do you think I have lice or mites?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by