Why are my mottled cochin roosters aggressive?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Poultrylord, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Poultrylord

Poultrylord Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2016
    Hollis Center, Maine
    Before I got bantam cochins, I thought they would be a friendlier breed, but mine are slightly aggressive towards people. Is this normal for cochins? Are there non-aggressive cochins?

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Overrun With Chickens

Aggressivness is one of those "rooster things" that just happens or doens't happen. If you hold them alot and treat the boys like pets, especially if they have hens, then they tend to get a bit snippy. If ou stop holding them alot once they hit manhood, then they can grow up and figure stuff out on their own. In the long run, it all depends on the individual rooster. If you're breeding them, then the temperament of the father can play a rather large roll.
    DON'T tease them, make fun of them, or pick fights with them. This will only reassure them that humans are threats.
    ETA: Docile breed roo's have been the best rooster's ever for me. Our buff orp is a little "rude" in the morning, and he picks fights sometimes, but he's also gone after dogs as big as border collies, which is a really rare rooster.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  3. Peeps61

Peeps61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    I have very little experience with bantam breeds, but my cochin hen is a lovely girl. I think part of it is that your birds are cockerels, and also because they are bantams. Have you ever heard the saying, "He bowed up at him like a banty rooster!" Well, that's because bantam roosters are more aggressive, I would guess! [​IMG]

Good luck!

4. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Overrun With Chickens

Yes, I knew a banty cochin roo named fuzzypants who was the definition of banty rooster. "All that, and a bag of chips! " He was awesome, and he wouldn't attack people unless he was provoked. Then their stupid chiuahua killed almost the whole flock. I miss him [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by