Why are my muscovy not laying eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by savingdogs, May 6, 2011.

1. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

I have two nice one-year-old muscovy hens and a drake. Everything seems fine with their health. They eat layer pellets for the most part, and a few snacks here and there, but mostly layer pellets.

I am getting 0 eggs and have gotten 0 eggs for quite awhile now.

Suggestions as to what I can do about this or why it could be happening? They don't have a whole lot of green food in their diet because of space issues, could that be part of the problem? They have plenty of fresh water, a nice nest (they used to like to lay eggs in) and I think they feel safe and secure, this has always been their pen.

I don't understand why I am getting no eggs.
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    In my experience, muscovies are not the prolific egg layers that other breeds are. It may simply be that they have laid their "quota" for the year. Generally muscovies will lay a clutch, set, raise the ducklings and repeat the process once or twice more in a season. The mallard derived breeds wil lay from early spring until late fall or better.
  3. savingdogs

They have only layed maybe 20 each total for 2011, not many at all. Would that be their "quota?"
  4. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Could they have a hidden nest they are layin their eggs in? Thats what mine did this year & both went broody [​IMG]
  5. savingdogs

No, I can see their whole area. I have been concerned about rodents possibly getting the eggs, but wouldn't there be evidence?
  6. Jen4

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Sorry I'm no help, I've never had a problem with anything gettin my eggs........ yet.
  7. savingdogs

They were laying really nicely last fall and gave me quite a few over the winter, sometimes one a day. I was waiting for spring to brood some ducklings though and now they have suddenly stopped laying altogether.

I keep wondering if it is because they are not allowed to free range. I thought I would be able to let them but a neighbor dog keeps coming around and I'm afraid to let them out there in case he comes by. But perhaps I should bring them some green food or other stuff?

I do give them scratch as a treat once a day. They don't seem to enjoy bugs the way I heard ducks would, they will let a worm wiggle away.

Any advice anyone has for me would be appreciated.
  8. Jen4

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Hope someone with more experience can help you... mine do get to free range & eat bugs/grass everyday. It sucks when a neighbors dog or cat bothers your animals.
  9. savingdogs

We are about 1/2 mile from their house, too!
  10. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    I would try feeding them some grass or build some boxes so you can have grass in their run. My muscovies all free range and have been hiding their eggs. (Have 3 broodies right now) They eat mostly grass, bugs and mice (LOVE MICE) Sorry that the dog that runs around is big enough to hurt your ducks. We have a few dogs that come up into the yard but our big drake runs them off.

But maybe you could gather grass clipping after mowing your yard and give to them??

Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by