Why are my pullets having watery poop?

Moochie

Songster
9 Years
Nov 8, 2010
North Edwards
My cochin, new hampshire red, and barred rock pullets are having watery light brown poop. They don't eat the chick starter mash and plus they're not chicks anymore. So I just let them eat with the older pullets and they eat lay mash and scratch.
I didn't want to post pics... So whats wrong?

How old are your pullets? If they are still quite young, they may be getting too much calcium from eating layer feed. When you say they are getting 'scratch', are you referring to corn? I'm just wondering if they are getting the proper nutrition for their age.

Yay Chicks! :

How old are your pullets? If they are still quite young, they may be getting too much calcium from eating layer feed. When you say they are getting 'scratch', are you referring to corn? I'm just wondering if they are getting the proper nutrition for their age.

They are.... Hmm I forgot.... Umm they were still chicks when we got them, 2 weeks old I believe. I've had them since mid-September. No wait.... The beginning of October...... Uhm around 6 to 8 weeks I guess. The scratch they get is cracked corn and other seeds. They also get grass, fruit, grapes, yogurt, worms, and mealworms.​

If they are only 6-8 weeks old they are too young to eat layer feed. Too much calcium can damage their kidneys. Also, corn is like candy, it ought to be a small treat.

Mine often get runny poop after a rain, when they've been playing in and drinking out of puddles. It only rains here late fall through spring. I don't know if it is something ( a germ) in the ground or something that grows in the puddled water that gives them the runs. But aside from the mess under the roosts, they seem fine. Don't act sick or anything.

Back
Top Bottom