Why are my Roos ganging up on my hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ohiobirdmom, Feb 24, 2016.

1. ohiobirdmom

ohiobirdmom Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2015
    I have a flock of 45 chickens all together. 6 Roos 39 hens. Some are pullets. My Roos always gang up on my hens every time they "mount" and they all take turns and I've lost 4 birds because of this. This morning I lost my ameraucana pullet because of it. And I've lost 3 hens already laying because of it. Can anyone tell me why they're doing this? And how I can stop them?

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    They're doing it because young cockerels are hormone driven little jerks. You can stop them by putting them all in a stew pot, finding them a new home or providing them separate housing from the pullets. Or, you can wait them out, hope they get over it and possibly loose more girls.

This is a difficult thing to deal with, I've been there. Your flock will be so peaceful once they're removed. Best of luck to you.

3. ohiobirdmom

Nov 16, 2015
    Oh nice! Thanks for that. They were about 10-11 weeks when we got them in October. Would they have enough meat on them yet? And I've tried finding a new home with no luck. I've separated them from my girls and they just go at each other. I'm tired of losing girls. And it's a little heartbreaking to see them all pile up on top of one girl. Ive heard of too many roosters too. Could that be a problem too?

4. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Too many roosters is definitely the issue. And yep, at this age, I'd be setting aside a day to butcher them.

5. ohiobirdmom

Nov 16, 2015
    Well thank you! I will let my fiancé know that's what we need to do. This brings me to another question.my girls are free range most of the time and I have 2 boys that are very good about keeping my girls where they're supposed to be. Should I keep just the 2 or go ahead and get rid of all of them?

6. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Thats totally up to you. If those boys aren't being pests, keep them. If they act up, you can always send them to freezer camp later...

1 person likes this.
  7. ohiobirdmom

Nov 16, 2015
    Alright. Thanks for the advice. I guess we'll be eating fresh chicken here soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by