Why are my roosters fighting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ashlierami, Apr 5, 2018.

1. ashlierami

ashlierami Songster

Feb 9, 2017
    Alabama
    I have an all rooster flock and a rooster with his hens flock. Normally they have an understanding that the rooster with the hens is the alpha and they fear him. He is also a mature rooster and they aren't even a year old. They usually get along and stay out of each other's way . They are free range by the way. Today my alpha rooster decided to go to a neighbors house and visit the hens there. He was gone all day but I could see him from my house. He just came home and got into a fight with my all rooster flock. Why is this? Was his absence a threat to the pecking order? Will this pass?

2. LoveDatChickenLife

LoveDatChickenLife Chirping

Jul 9, 2017
    Definitely will pass. May take time, however. Every time we got a new batch of chickens we always got a rooster, but got rid of them. I still have one and continue studying him. A few questions for you: have the all rooster flock grown up with each other? How long has the all rooster flock been intact? Roosters always fight. Is the rooster fighting the one that had the hens? Separate them. Roosters with fight till the death.

ashlierami likes this.
  3. ashlierami

ashlierami Songster

Feb 9, 2017
    Alabama
    Yes the all rooster flock have always been together. I got them at 2 weeks old in July 2017. The alpha rooster was here before them and he is about 2 or 3 years old.
    The alpha roo from my all male flock was the one to challenge my mature boy when he came back home. Every hen I get or have had chooses the mature roo. The all male flock always do fine and stay together all day. The challenge each other from time to time but boys will be boys. I put the alpha roo with the hens in a pen to keep them from fighting. The male flock has seen him today at the neighbors so surely they haven't forgotten him. I took it as a disturbance to the pecking order since the alpha was absent all day.

4. LoveDatChickenLife

Jul 9, 2017
    All I can suggest is let them fight it out I guess... if it get too out hand ask someone to help you, and grab both roosters by their feet and hang upside down gently, thus they will calm down when the blood flows to their head.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It's spring and testosterone levels are rising. I would not be surprised if several roosters from the 'rooster flock' attack the flock leader as a group.

6. LoveDatChickenLife

Jul 9, 2017
    I never had a rooster for all year (or more than one season) so I wouldn’t know anything about that. I hope I helped a little at least.

ashlierami likes this.
  7. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Crowing

Sep 25, 2015
    Yes,agree with Sourland.
    It’s spring,both mine are doing it.One hen and if they all have contact is an issue.
    Not just for the hen,but as well as the rooster,chickens do form cliques,or it’s more of a gang considering the fact they actually jump other chickens sometimes.

ashlierami likes this.
  8. ashlierami

ashlierami Songster

Feb 9, 2017
    Alabama
    Thank you for your suggestions I thought about letting them fight it out. I care dtha k
    Thank you for your suggestions you are helpful. I thought about letting them fight it out. I care deeply for all my birds and hate to see one injured. My mature roo has huge spurs and the other roo barely has any since he's not even a year old. That worries me. They have both went to sleep so I hope by morning they have forgotten.

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I would suggest having a plan in mind in case several of the young roosters attack the mature rooster as a group. It's their instinct to make sure that THEIR DNA gets to carry on. In order to do that, they have to depose the flock leader.

EggSighted4Life and ashlierami like this.
  10. ashlierami

ashlierami Songster

Feb 9, 2017
    Alabama
    I have a pen area where I can put the mature rooster and his hen until things get better. I have 2 mama hens that's with their chicks separate and a broody. So he's left with just one hen right now. Thank you for your advice I appreciate all responses

sourland likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: