Why are my Sebs laying in December?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by xIndigoSkyx, Dec 9, 2013.

1. xIndigoSkyx

xIndigoSkyx Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    St.Albert, Alberta
    I live in Alberta, where it's freezing all the way until the end of March, and generally my geese don't start laying until around then, when it starts to warm up. But last week, just as we had gotten a cold snap, I found an egg, and so far, even in -30 temps, I've found 5 eggs. They're two years old this spring, and they started laying in July last year but they're laying and it's only December. Is this normal? Will they keep laying until the spring, when I could actually hatch some goslings?

2. xIndigoSkyx

Dec 4, 2010
    St.Albert, Alberta
    Oh, they also hatched out 5 goslings of their own around mid August last year. [​IMG]

3. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Are they getting any artificial light? That would be one question.

4. xIndigoSkyx

Dec 4, 2010
    St.Albert, Alberta
    Yes, mostly for heat because it's just them now.

5. Mary-Anne

Mary-Anne Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2013
    My goose is still sitting on eggs in a rather cold shed with a heat lamp. I am in Manitoba. They actually hatched one two weeks ago who is now living in the house. [​IMG]

6. xIndigoSkyx

Dec 4, 2010
    St.Albert, Alberta
    That's what I don't want! My imprinted peacock is in the house with a healing frost bitten foot so I have absolutely no where to put the little ones if they do hatch some.

7. livininbrazil

livininbrazil Chillin' With My Peeps

Mary-Anne, just a thought...when would the eggs be due to hatch? I successfully have had goose families made up of different ages. The goose may well adopt Frosty. frosty would just need to learn to go to her for warmth, but it shouldn´t take long for him to cotton on. Once any new goslings are on their feet, of course.....

8. livininbrazil

The longer daylight hours trigger birds into breeding, so if you´re using a light for heating, it could be the reason they´ve started early. also, they may feel it´s quite warm enough in there! An infra-red wouldn´t give off the same kind of light, so may help. Although, depending on the breed, they do tend to be quite tough. Also, you can keep picking up any eggs until late Feb, then leave her to it.

9. xIndigoSkyx

Dec 4, 2010
    St.Albert, Alberta
    That's what I planning on doing but we can still get some pretty scary storms in April.

10. livininbrazil

Do you mean heavy rain? We get some really heavy downpours here, so I keep the small goslings in a pen with their mom who takes good care of them, then I let them wander about when they´re big enough not to get washed away in the stream!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by