Why Are My Silkie Roos Chasing My Polish Roo?

chicksgalore

Songster
11 Years
Jul 19, 2008
They've grown up together but I've recently noticed the 3 Silkie roosters (who seem more aggressive) chasing my poor Polish rooster (who is very non-aggressive) around and around and around. At first I thought mabye they wanted to peck the feathers off the back of his head (he's practically bald already anyway) but if they get close enough, they grab the back of his neck like they would a hen; beyond that, he runs and they hang on so I'm not sure exactly what they're trying to do. Any ideas?

I have silkie roosters too, and they seem to do the same thing with my sebright roosters. Mine grew up together as well too, right from day one. I think it is a dominance thing. I am looking to rehome all but 1 silkie roo and 1 sebright roo. If I were you, I would do the same to prevent any other harm, especially since you have a crested breed.

Last edited:
My Silkie is very mean as well. I'm guessing they know your Polish is friendly and are trying to dominate him, that is, show him nice guys finish last.
wink.png
They're reminding him of his place in the pecking order.

I'd look into getting some Hot-Peck or Blue-Kote for him. The poor guy is probably suffering from pecking if he has that much of a bald head. Won't stop the attacks but he'll thank you later.
lol.png
As far as attacking goes, it should stop. If this progresses, look into rehoming the Polish or Silkie(s). Polish chickens fall victom to attack not only because of their crests, but because they can't see where they're going and can't run away. Sad to see something suffer that much.

I am trying to find new homes for 2 of my silkies which will leave me with just one silkie rooster as well. Not really any interest so far. Do you just give them away?

I guess the silkies have to be aggressive to try to make up for their size! It's hilarious to watch them try to catch the bigger hens.

I'm sure it probably does--I'm not really sure. It'd be something to look into. I didn't get any bites from craigslist.

Quote:
I figured I would try craigslist for any roos but a friend told me I may have a tough time getting rid of them, even listing them as free. I mentioned this to my husband and he said we could keep the hens in the coop and let the roos free range. I think he really meant fend for themselves. He HATES roos. But really I have no idea what we will do with them if craigslist does not work.

Still no luck on craigslist for me. I think I may know someone who will take one for free and I'm going to try to advertise the other one for free too next. We butcher our other roosters--I'm not sure how a silkie would be?

Back
Top Bottom