Why are people afraid of geese?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Fishkeeper, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Songster

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    There's a surprisingly large number of videos on the Internet of grown people being afraid of geese, and I do not understand why. I understand initial alarm if one flies at you, but geese aren't very big compared to humans.
    Heck, I figured out how to deal with an aggressive feral goose when I was 12. When it comes at you to bite you, you grab it right behind the head, hold just tight enough to keep your grip, crouch, trap its wings against its sides with your other arm, and lift. Basically you hold it like bagpipes. Keep hold of the head, keep hold of the body, and it can't do anything but honk. Half the time you can let go of the head and it just stares at you in confusion.
    They're not that scary! I'd understand people running away from swans, swans are big and probably have really nasty bites, but geese aren't that bad.

2. Butterscotchbitesfinger

Butterscotchbitesfinger Crossing the Road

Nov 2, 2018
    AU
    I have been attacked by a duck where it tried to bite me and chase me so I am permanently afraid of ducks with babies

3. The Phantom

The Phantom I love birds!!!

Jan 9, 2017
    SE Wisconsin
    Yes swans are quite aggressive and large. Especially when you have to take their babies! But not as bad as my one nasty crane. He is a flying
    4’ bird with a sword for a beak and razor blades for nails. I have plenty of scars from him. He just does not give up.

4. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Songster

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    Now, see, cranes I get! Cranes have knives on their faces. Geese don't have much, aside from the biting.

5. tripletfeb

tripletfeb Songster

Why are people afraid of snakes or spiders? Everyone has their "thing". For me, it's frogs and toads. I know they won't bite but you never know where they will land when they jump. Looking on you tube, you can find people afraid of anything.

6. Sirens04

Sirens04 Songster

Aug 21, 2018
    Northford Connecticut
    Some people just fear avians and some have had a bad experience imprint. If you were attacked by a bird and didn’t know how to stop it then you may develop a life long fear. For each person it is individual. Some dog bite victims don’t go on to fear dogs but many do. Same thing. Exposure to what scares you may improve the fear but many who are afraid never allow that again. And understandably so.

7. Butterscotchbitesfinger

Butterscotchbitesfinger Crossing the Road

Nov 2, 2018
    AU
    Precisely! I have a fear of wasps and hornets even though I have never been stung my grandmother told me how it happened to her and now I’m terrified

8. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    A friend of mine has a business ridding public areas of aggressive geese. She started 'geesepeace'.
    Not all urbanites have your experience with these large aggressive birds that are potentially dangerous when relentlessly defending their nests or goslings. They are terrified when the birds attack. The businesses in question are liable for injuries, even if that is from someone falling when evading an attacking gander.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

10. Some geese like the Tula used to be bred specifically for fighting, they can be very viscous

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    Button Quail 123 and The Phantom like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: