Why are people so bloody cheap?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Black Feather, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Black Feather

Black Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    I know the economy could be better, but I'm getting pretty tired of people wanting to get quality stock and pay absolutely nothing for it, or people backing out of agreements at the last minute and leaving you in a bit of a jam.

Case in point. I had someone who absolutely wanted to buy my breeding flock of Beltsville turkeys. We agreed on a price and approximate time to pick them up. A week before the exchange they back out and leave me in a bit of a situation as I have now hatched replacement birds for the flock and don't have the room for both. Another guy was interested in them and when I quoted him a price said it was too much. I don't think $250 CAD for a proven, productive, organically raised breeder flock is excessive at all. Heck, they sell birds like that at the grocery store for twice the amount. I'm just a tad offended that's all.

UC

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Most people don't realize what it takes to produce a solid pure bred flock.

3. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Arrgh - so frustrating - I know what you mean! Around here people don't want to pay well for "dem fancy chickens" when you can get a RIR or "Dominecker" (which is really a Barred Rock) for so much cheaper. I hope you sell your turkeys!

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    When you deal with people you have to deal with people. I am sometimes frustrated and sometimes pleasantly surprised.

Good luck.

5. Black Feather

Black Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    I hope I will be able to sell them too.....at this point I will have to put them in the freezer if a buyer doesn't come along. I'd bet good money too that the day after they're in the freezer I'll have three people want them.

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:If you had breeder quality RIR's, Dominiques or Barred Rocks (both with excellent barring) they wouldn't buy those either. The difference in a show quaility chicken and a hatchery or backyard variety pure bred is quite shocking to the eyes actually. They often don't look like the same breeds.

Too many people don't know, don't take the time to know, won't educate themselves on the lowly chicken and assume too many things about mutt chickens. I have had people swear up and down and call me a liar when I tell them red sex links are not pure bred and are not RIR's in disguise.

7. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:This is what always baffles me. I know some things, I don't know a lot more, and no doubt a chunk of what I think I know, I am mistaken about. How can it feel better to pretend you know than to learn something new?

I wonder how they would explain to themselves the color of the roo....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by