why are people so mean? selling roos...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by klf73, Jun 1, 2010.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Ok, I spend a bit of time in the what breed/gender section. I keep seeing people who were sold "pullets" when they are ALL cockerals. How can someone do that to people? ESPECIALLY sex links! C'mon, you are going to tell me you didn't know you are selling cockerals? I can't stand to see all these people getting duped and how can people do it with good conscience???
    Note to people buying chickens....ask for pictures!!! If you can't tell then let us check them out for you [​IMG] . I just can't stand to see people getting taken advantage of [​IMG]

2. fastpat

fastpat Chillin' With My Peeps

That's why it pays to deal with a reputable hatchery or supplier that's been in business for a long time.

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:I am not so sure about that...my feed store only buys pullets from one of the reputable "hatcheries", I grabbed 4 to add to layer flock, at least 3 are cockerals [​IMG]

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I was referring more to the ones that are being sold as pullets when the seller clearly knows they are not

5. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    Not wanting to turn this into a great big legal eagle posting but...

Didn't you enter a contract with the feed store?
    A contract to purchase 4 pullets - That's what it should say on your receipt.
    When three of them turn out not be what the store described then aren't you within your rights to return them and get replacements that are 'as described'.

I seems clear to me that if suppliers, reputable or not, are regularly having birds returned to them that they have to replace or refund (and then have to look after a rather obvious cockerel) they might be more careful about what they sell as pullets in the first place.

There may be a tangible benefit if you complain to the feed store that you bought them from, who will hopefully then get on to their suppliers and so on and so forth until in a perfect world when you buy four pullets, it's four pullets that you get.

6. Toi-toi

Toi-toi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Central MA
    Quote:I'm not sure about "return/refund" from feed store.
    I bought from feed store and they said "no grantee for sex even sold as pullets and no refund/replace" and it said at store and receipt.
    But I would tell them anyways to let them know what happened.
    They might do something personally especially some places are not allow to have roo.

7. bturbo87

bturbo87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    south
    you also have to remember that the hatcheries only offer a 85-90% guarantee on correct sexing of chicks, which is why they have the no refund exchange disclaimers. there is nothing the feed store can do against the hatchery they order from unless it is what i believe is over a 10% difference in cockrels, as in. you buy 10 sexed pullets and 2 go cockrel, then they will refund the price of the one cockrel to bring your rate to the 90 % guarantee. That being said, i believe the OP was refering to backyard breeders selling known roos to newbies just to make the buck.

8. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:exactly , thank you. I sometimes have a hard time putting what I am thinking on these darn boards, at least so people get what I mean [​IMG]

9. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    The OP did not mention the source of these chicks. Hatchery, feed store, craigs list, local, mail order, etc. I recommend being very cautious when buying from craigs list. There are a lot of people out there on craigs list looking for an opportunity to rip off buyers.

This year I bought some chicks from a breeder on craigs list. I did some local checking and a couple of people said they would highly recommend him. It turned out to be a disaster. The majority of the chicks I bought from him died within a few days. This included all 4 BLRW [​IMG]. I can not say for sure what was wrong with them. They would look fine one day, weak the next day, and dead the third day. I did not lose any chicks that I got from feed stores. Of the ones that survivced, one is a runt that looks like about 2 weeks old when it is actually 8 weeks old. I think I am going to lose it within the next week. Another of the survivors (a GLW) is small for her size but not a runt. I think that the issues may have been from him keeping the chicks too cold. The brooders were in an open unheated garage. There was one heat lamp in each 2' x 8' brooder and the chicks were all huddled tightly under it. It felt way too cold to me. He was also strongly opposed to vaccinating for Mercks and feeding medicated feed. I will never buy from him again. I probably will never buy chicks from anyone on craigs list again. I will stick with my favorite feed stores. Luckily I was able to replace most of the lost birds with birds from feed stores but I was only able to replace one on the BLRW.

10. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    yes, I guess I was referring to the people purposely passing off a 3month old cockeral as a pullet to an unsuspecting buyer. I think it's just a cheap(and mean) way to get rid of your roos, just make it someone else's problem [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by