Why are people so stupid with their dogs?

Chickerdoodle13

The truth is out there...
12 Years
Mar 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I went to a weekly auction with my dog today. He's wonderful on the leash, great around the livestock and fine with people as long as I have the leash. He doesn't like being around other dogs so much though, so I usually avoid them. As long as I have a tight hold on the leash, he's not going anywhere. He's never caused a problem himself.

But why is it that when I am trying to be a responsible dog owner, other dog owners have to come up to you and insist that the dogs "make friends"? I had TWO people come up to me today and try to let their dogs "get to know" my dog. If their dogs get too close, my dog may growl. I can control him, but not when you are dragging your dog over to meet him! The one guy kept INSISTING that my dog get to know his and even after I said that my dog isn't so friendly with others, he still had the nerve to pull his dog over to mine! I ended up having to walk away, even though I was standing in that spot first. I didn't want to see my dog bite his because the guy was being an idiot.

Granted, my dog is not usually dog aggressive. Typically he's absolutely fine. Off the leash, he gets along with just about any dog. Its the total invasion of his space that gets to him, especially if the other dog is in MY space too. He can be pretty protective of me when it comes to other dogs/animals. I keep him on a very short leash, but I can't reprimand him for others' stupidity...so I usually just walk away. I just don't get why people are so incredibly stupid! If I ask you to stop trying to "introduce" your dog to mine, why can't you listen?

I always walk out of these situations feeling like the bad guy, but honestly, my dog is very well behaved. I wouldn't take him so many places if I ever thought otherwise. He's fine when dogs are nearby and will even lay down and forget they are there. Its only when a person insists on letting them "meet" that he gets upset and it makes me upset too. I keep my dog out of your space, why can't you do the same?!

...did ya really need to throw the "with their dogs" in there?

I just came back from a school chorus concert where a family chattered endlessly through the whole program despite a ton of dirty looks and derogatory comments...

can you tell I'm a little bit bitter?
duc.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I tend to get stupid at moments like these and open my mouth. What pops out tends to surprise even me. Like "Are his shots current?" "Does he have fleas?" "Has he been wormed recently?" "Is your insurance paid up?" People tend to be insulted...but they also tend to leave us alone. Of course it helps that the dog at my side is either one of my GSDs or one of my Dobies.

I do admit to being a crotchety old coot, which helps.

Rusty

I have a pemobroke welsh corgir (herding dog) and she is great with the chickens and with cats and people, but good lord she doesn't like other dogs. We never really had her around other dogs and i can't help but think that is why.

Anyway...for a treat i took her to the groomers and she is grate on leash. Well this girl walks in with her accessory dog and insisted that our dogs "meet", i told her that Lacey(our corgi) wasn't a big fan of other dogs and i was actually scared if Lacey did bite her dog that i would be paying who knows how much for her purse with fur. She laughed and put her dog down just an inch or two from lacey, whom was immediately disspleased with the situation. I grabbed her up when i saw the look coming over her face, the look that said, "Hey mom, is this a treat". ha!!!

I'm with you, how could someone else think they know my dog better than me. It's not the girls fault i didn't socialize my dog at an early age, but she was on a leash and i gave a warning...what's the DEAL?!?!?!

well, a few months ago i went with my boys to go sliding in the snow..and this couple had a gigantic lab on a leash..just walking along..and they saw my kids and TOOK IT OFF THE LEASH!!! they thought it would be cute for him to run up to my kids for whatever reason! they didnt think it was cute when i yelled at it to get back and chased it off because it was growling at us..i mean..thats just insane to me, ill never forget that one.

Back
Top Bottom