Why are people so weird?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KDrake, Jul 12, 2019.

1. KDrake

KDrake Chirping

Jun 27, 2018
    Wyoming
    Why do people you know (friends/family) expect their eggs for FREE??

Maybe I'm the only one with the problem, but I've had several people (people who I do work business with, siblings) just want eggs for free. Don't even offer me any money. My fault for allowing it a couple times. I don't anymore - but WHY??

I had somebody just hand me a carton this morning wanting eggs. She didn't give me any $$, maybe (hopefully) she will have some when she comes back to get them.

Also, I ask clients to return my cartons, I even have a stamp inside that says "Please return carton", have I gotten any back? Nope. I have a family who buys 3 dozen a week and has 6 of my empty egg cartons. Next time she wants some, I will be reminding her I need those cartons back. Never would've thought I'd have any issues!

Okay, rant over :)

Elfer, microchick, C. Conner and 23 others like this.
  2. noregerts

noregerts Songster

Feb 24, 2019
    Seymour TN

NewBoots likes this.
  3. Mybackyardpeepers

Mybackyardpeepers Crowing

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    I wouldn't say weird, but rude!

4. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    If people won’t return the cartons or bring their own then add a dollar to the price of your eggs. If they bring their own carton knock 50 cents off the price of the eggs.

5. AmyJane725

AmyJane725 Crowing

Feb 22, 2019
    Western WA
    People in this day and age are very entitled. Gotta put your foot down/make it clear. Especially if you've allowed it in the past. Give 'em an inch, they'll take a circumnavigation :barnie

6. noregerts

noregerts Songster

Feb 24, 2019
    Seymour TN
    It is interesting. We've been giving away eggs for years to friends and family. We don't ask for any money and they don't offer any. It would be fun though if every once in awhile we'd find a $5 bill inside one of the cartons returned though. Or a thank you card. Today I am taking nine dozen to the local roadside vegetable stand to trade for veggies. Yay me.

7. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I rarely give away eggs and when I do I am very particular about who I give them to. My parents will occasionally give a half dozen eggs to coworkers or friends and for the most part the people who receive the eggs are very appreciative. My mom once gave a friend eggs and the next day the lady gave my mom a vase with fresh flowers. I have been asked by people if I will sell eggs. I tell them I don’t sell my eggs because I don’t get enough to sell consistently year round. I also dislike the comments I get from uninformed people about chickens.

8. jaxonann

jaxonann Chirping

Jul 7, 2019
    Dallas, TX
    All I really want is my cartons back! Or bring me your extra grocery store cartons that you throw away! My chickens are going to lay way more than I can ever use. I'm happy to share. BUT MY CARTONS! :he

9. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    I ask for cartons in return but don't ever actually expect them to come back. Many people mention to me that they want eggs. I always tell them my price per dozen. When I follow up with them I tell them I have eggs available, reiterate the price, and ask if they are still interested. I do sometimes give eggs away, but I don't think people are expecting it. It's generally a trade. Once a friend gave me a bunch of cherries from his garden. I was thrilled and not expecting it, nor was he expecting something in return, I gave him eggs. I get pine shavings from a local sawmill, they get rid of them anyway, don't care that I take them, but I give eggs in exchange sometimes (not even every time). If people don't wanna pay, I just stockpile for winter or find someone else. Maybe explaining that you don't get eggs for free because it is expensive to feed your flock would help. Good luck. Don't feel that you have to give them to anyone. Even if they expect it.

10. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    Nice. Have you done this before? Does it work well? I was thinking about showing up with some eggs to the peach/cherry stand and offering a trade. I'm not sure how it will go over, but I'd love some fresh produce and I'm happy to trade some eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: