1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why are people telling me we need a rooster for eggs??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickiee, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Chickiee

Chickiee Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello All, I have read over and over that hens lay eggs just fine without a rooster. We are expecting 8 chicks (requested female) to raise for eggs. People, however, tell us we need a rooster or our chickens won't lay quite right. What is the real answer? Thanks!

2. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    10000000% myth! A rooster makes no difference in egg prodcuction except the eggs will be fertile- but they taste just the same and are fine to eat- and some roosters can even stress girls out making them lay less. There is no reason you need a roo.

3. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    You only need a rooster if you want to hatch chicks.

People say a lot of dumb things.

By the way, these "experts" telling you that you need a rooster for your hens to lay eggs will probably keep arguing with you until your hens start laying eggs, which is around 5 months old for most breeds.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  4. Nicolla

Nicolla Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    North Alabama
    When I was first inquiring about chickens many people tried to tell me this too, lol. Complete myth [​IMG] Welcome to the chicken adventure!! I am from Milwaukee by the way ; ) Go Pack!

5. maloneyb

maloneyb Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2012
    no roosterr needed unless u are wanting chicks. Eggs just will not be fertile without the rooster,

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Human females release eggs just fine without a male around. Same for chickens. That's a common held myth, some folks you can talk til you're blue in the face, even show them your eggs and they won't believe you.

7. Chickiee

Chickiee Chillin' With My Peeps

THANK YOU EVERYONE! I thought I was going to go bonkers with this one before the chicks even got here! :)

8. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    Those people that think you need a rooster also will tell you the egg and the poop don't come out of the same hole. Beware of "know it alls."

Rufus

9. Kaeta44

Kaeta44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Chickens, like women, are born with a finite number of eggs. As somebody said earlier, neither chickens nor women need males to produce eggs - only to fertilise them.

10. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I got that a lot too. Just tell them "no, it's the chicken's 'period'" and then it seems to make more sense to them. :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by