Why are Roos literally terrorizing my Broody hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by honeydoll, Aug 1, 2010.

1. honeydoll

honeydoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    I have a broody hen, she has sat on eggs for awhile now and just had three of them hatch. Here is my dilemma, my neighbor's has three roos, they did have nine hens awhile ago but they were all killed by a coon. Anyway the only three they have left are the roos. About a month ago, my broody was setting on her eggs in my coop, and I heard her screeching in terror. I heard thumping and all. I thought a dog got in there. I went to the coop, and there were my neighbors roos, literally attacking her. See, I let my others free range thru the day and leave the run open so they can get in and out as needed for water and such, that's how the other roos got in. When I say attacking I mean it. It didn't seem like trying to mate, they were pecking her and pulling her feathers out. I have one roo but he was free ranging with the other girls far off from the coop, other wise he kicks their butts when they mess with his girls. This has not stopped. We finally made a seperate enclosure for her and the eggs so they are safe. But she will want them out with her soon and I think the roos will kill them. These roos are mean. They roost on top our fully enclosed run, they practically live here. My husband is VERY annoyed. If we leave the run open they come in and eat our food, it REALLY aggravates my hubby. So now we have to keep our run shut at all times. Many neighbors have complained about their roos. My questions is, why do they go after my broody like that? Is it because they have no females? They fight over my females, literally pulling feathers out of them each trying to get a turn. They said they aren't buying anymore chickens until they get a better coop, but in the meantime their roos are really hurting my girls. One of my girls was chased so much she hurt her leg, limped for like 3 weeks and could not outrun them, so she was constantly mated. We had to keep them in their coop because the neighbor roos have taken over my yard. We find them in our garage, pooping on eveything. UGH! So my hubby wants to kill them, but I keep talking him out of it because they are not ours. Sorry for the rant, I am really frustrated because my chickens can't even enjoy my own yard. I really would like to know why they try to attack my broody, and will they most likely kill the chicks if they get to them?

2. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    next time you see them, kill them! then eat them or make your neighbors a big batch of chicken and dumplings and send it over.

3. shellz131

shellz131 Sams Memory Lane

Jun 28, 2010
    Malone Ny
    if your neighbors really cared they would take care of them...next time kill them

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Any way you could catch these roos with a net and call your neighbors up to say, they are attacking my animals- Do you want to come and get them?

That might be a better first step before your hubby kills them. Give them a chance?

I don't know what I would do.

[​IMG]

5. ChickensAreSweet

Oh and I do think your chicks would be toast.

6. ChickensAreSweet

I did a simultaneous post with the previous posters. When I said "better first step" I was not even aware anyone had offered a plan yet.

7. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

SSS - Shoot, Supper, Shutup

[​IMG]

8. honeydoll

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    Quote:You just made my hubby crack up. He is like See, I told you. Your his new BFF. [​IMG]

9. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    Sorry to be so blunt~~but why in the world have you let this continue????

The very FIRST TIME your neighbors roosters' caused you any inconvenience, or harm to your birds, you should have marched yourself over to your neighbors, made them aware of the problem, and gave them warning that the next time their roosters caused you ANY problem, they would be DEAD roosters.....

10. honeydoll

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    Quote:Other than their chickens, they are very nice neighbors. So I am trying to keep the peace. And he's already said to me, we are in the country and their chickens, so people should quit fussing. One of their roos literally froze to death in our yard last winter, we took him in our garage but he died within two days. Anyway, they are different. They would be very upset if we killed them, but they really don't take care of them either. [​IMG] My husband said he'd kill them, but the father said his daughter would throw a fit, he said she is almost vegan, his oldest is a vegan and do not believe in killing animals. I know, yet they let them freeze to death. Makes no sense and very frustrating. And no offense taken at all, sometimes I am too much of a push over.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by