why are some topics locked ?

Discussion in 'Website Announcements, Feedback, Issues, & Guides' started by MamaChic21, Dec 18, 2010.

1. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    why are some topics locked ?

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Different reasons....they might break the rules or be duplicate posts. If you go to the end of the thread, the moderator has usually explained the reason for closing the thread.

3. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Lots of possible reasons... duplicate topic, inappropriate topic, topic has gone off course and "went south", etc.

If your topic has been locked and you didn't get a note from our staff, which you should have, please click the report link on your topic / post and ask.

4. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    I'm new to BYC and I'm learning as we go. Thank you guys.

5. wilkey44

wilkey44 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    Central Oklahoma
    because its easier to close down a topic then the tell people if they dont like whats in a topic dont read that topic or call people stupid or tell them they are wrong because they dont agree with the person

6. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Topics are locked usually because the OP or someone posting on the topic gets stupid, rude, or childish. I can say that because many have been locked for me acting that way.

One of the best things people can do is wait 30 seconds before hitting the submit button and maybe asking themselves why they are responding in the first place.

7. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Great point PC.

Honestly there have been probably hundreds of times where I had a super long post all typed up and ready to go. As my mouse moved down to the bottom left of the screen I quickly thought, "Is this post really going to help anybody, or am I just trying to improve my own ego and even worse, maybe hurt some feelings?"

While I'm glad I've been able to catch myself a lot of times and close the window before hitting send, I'm definitely not perfect and have (and will continue) to make mistakes.

My brother has gotten really good at this. When he's going to send a pretty heated email to employees, co-workers, or executives he forces himself to wait and "sleep on it" and even have his wife read the email to get another point of view on how others might interpret the email. He often doesn't send them, or at least makes lots of changes.

One interesting bit: I've found that I get about the same amount of "satisfaction" writing a post and deleting it as I do from actually posting it. Kinda weird, but it seems to happen like that for me... I guess to get it out of my system.

8. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Nifty said
    "One interesting bit: I've found that I get about the same amount of "satisfaction" writing a post and deleting it as I do from actually posting it. Kinda weird, but it seems to happen like that for me... I guess to get it out of my system."

Funny, you said exactly what I was thinking and have done many times. [​IMG]

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Me too. I've concluded that I think on "paper" best; that's how I get thoughts/feelings into words.

10. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

I was going to post a clever remark, but then I deleted it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by