Why are the air cells so large?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickenPeep, Sep 27, 2012.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    The eggs under my broody have large air cells on day 4. [​IMG]

The last egg under my broody had a HUGE air cell, but still managed to hatch. Why is this happening!? If I'm seeing this right, the air cells are how they should be on day 11 or so. Is it maybe the bedding? I've been wondering it maybe the cedar chips absorb moisture or something.

Please help, I really want these babies to hatch!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  2. Avianman

Avianman Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2012
    Lack of humidity is the easy answer, as it does affect air cell size, though it has minimal impact that early in the incubation period. Even in a ridiculously dry climate, it shouldn't change that much that early. Are all the eggs from one chicken? Are the eggs larger than normal?

To be really accurate, you should go by weight rather than appearance, though I never have done that myself. Certainly look at humidity, but my guess would be more along the lines of genetics.

3. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Thank you for your reply. These eggs are from OEGB chickens. They are perfectly normal otherwise. The eggs are not from my chickens, and the egg that hatched earlier is in no way related to these eggs. I know that large air cells are caused by low humidity, but I just don't know why the humidity is low. [​IMG]

I guess it could be possible that I just didn't see it right, though I'm pretty sure I did. I will candle again tomorrow.

4. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    I candled again and saw the sme thing. However, it is only in one egg. The egg is growing and I saw movement.

What are the chances for it to hatch?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by