Why are the eggs gone??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by egainer, Aug 14, 2014.

1. egainer

egainer New Egg

Aug 14, 2014
    Hey there!! I have 6 silver laced wyandottes and 2 golden laced. The silvers are about 7 months old and the goldens are about a year old. I know they are not consistent layers, but they began laying right on time and I was getting 7 eggs, plus or minus one, a day. In the last two weeks I have been getting only 2 a day and they are from my goldens. My silvers have stopped laying all together! I have added a fan for more ventilation because we are in Florida and it is hot hot. They have plenty of sun, plenty of food, lovely nesting boxes that they once laid eggs in, and I am not sure what to do next. If anyone has any suggestions it would mean the world to me!! Thank you!!

2. heychickiedoo

heychickiedoo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2014
    Fort Collins, CO
    From what I understand, they could just be too hot even with the fan going! That would be my best guess, but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be more certain.

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Heat and humidity are very hard on chickens. Make sure they have plenty of full shade, give them a puddle or someplace to wet their feet, preferably with the fan on them at the same time. Make sure their coop has enough ventilation.

4. egainer

egainer New Egg

Aug 14, 2014
    Thank you for all the suggestions!! I am going to give them a shot and hope for the best!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by