Why are the hatchings getting stuck to the membrane? Help please read

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by thepetpaw, Aug 28, 2008.

1. thepetpaw

thepetpaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2008
    Tennessee
    I am day 21 today - so far I have hatched 10 eggs and about 10 left to go. The first ones hatched on day 19 ( 5 of them) and another 3 yesterday). I went to check on how many new babies were hatched this morning and I found one baby with the egg stuck on her head. it looked like she was wearing a hat. Now there is another one that has the membrane stuck on it and the other chicks are trying to eat the membrane. I also have 1 chick that made a very large pip on day 19 and i can see its little beak through the hole but it hasnt come out yet....I m afraid it is in there stuck....

What should I do about all these little guys being so dry...and about the little one with its beak like that - I guess it is comfortable where it is and doesnt want to come out and play!

Please give advice.....??

2. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Warm moist paper towel....Do the membranes look dry? Wrap the warm moist paper towel around the Eggs that are the most dry looking...this has helped me in the past. Good luck on the rest of your hatch.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Your humidity has been too low.

When helping a chick to hatch you risk helping too soon and having a chick eventually die from the yolk not being absorbed.

Also, if you help a chick to hatch, you have to be willing to cull the deformed ones that most likely would have died before hatching, or have no chance at a good quality of life.

If you think the chicks are too dry you can take an eye dropper and put a drip of warm water on the membrane to help soften it. Boost the humidity to 70%.

Also opening the incubator compromises any chicks that might hatch on their own.

You have to make the call and do what you think is right.

4. thepetpaw

Jul 27, 2008
    Tennessee
    Thanks Lanissa86 - I just did that - hopefully this will help the rest....your great!

Joni

5. thepetpaw

Jul 27, 2008
    Tennessee
    I have the genesis 1588 - I think I just add more ater to boost the humdidty - correct Miss prissy?

thanks
    joni

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Correct. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by