Why are the meaties so darn sweet???? Any lighter breed like these?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ChickenPox, Aug 8, 2014.

1. ChickenPox

ChickenPox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    I have had meaties three separate times over the years. By far they are the most docile, sweet birds I have. But unfortunately, they don't make the best pets. They eat and poop a ton, and have health and leg issues. I have raised several breeds of birds, but none have been as personable. Some try, but just aren't as calm. I know everyone has thier favorite breed, but individuals are always so different. Is there a breed (standard size, but not dino size) that is known for being docile and sweet like these meaties are?

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Unfortunately, meat birds are docile because they lack the energy to be aggressive due to their unnatural growth rate. However, there are some breeds that have very docile reputations, including Silkies, Orpingtons, Australorps, Cochins, Brahmas, Sussex, and Faverolles (understanding that you can always have an exception in any breed). I have had all of these breeds except the Faverolles (a good friend and neighbor of mine had them), and their docile reputations are deserved. I never had an aggressive Silkie, Orpington, or Australorp, and I have been raising the latter two breeds for several decades. My children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets our of them. Good luck in getting some docile birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by