Why are the tips o' my roos comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JimnJanet, Mar 20, 2008.

1. JimnJanet

JimnJanet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    turnin black ?
    I got him this past sunday at a swap and he had some blood on his comb but that since got rinsed of in the rain and his comb looked bright red and healthy till jist now i noticed the blackening.
    He is jiist about 6 months old and gits along fine with my 8 girls of the same age.

2. ebaribault

ebaribault Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    Antrim, NH
    Sounds like frostbite

3. palabeco

palabeco Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    S.W. PA
    sounds like frostbite too, but how could that happen in a couple days? Maybe the the blood wasn't blood, and the seller used paint or something to cover up the frostbite, so the roo would look nicer.

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Frosbite.
    Slifer lost the tips of her comb to it one year when it was below zero for weeks at a time.

5. JimnJanet

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    Quote:Thanx Ed,that's what it looks like.

6. JimnJanet

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    Quote:Thanx Paula, as i told Ed, it looks like it was forstbite, but like you say.."how could that happen in 2 days?".
    It was definately a drop o' blood on his comb when i bot him.His comb looked beautifull for a few days and then over one night the black appeared.It hasn't been cold enough in the days here and he's in a pretty small coop with 8 girls overnite so i can't see it gittin cold enough in there to freeze anything.
    The otehr day all the birds were out in the rain alllll day long and went to bed wet.Does a comb get wet like skin?
    Jim

7. JimnJanet

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    Quote:Hi Brenda, that's what throws me off. It took weeks for your bird to get it and mine got it allmost overnight and we didn't have cold cold temps those days or nights.
    Jim

8. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    My roo got frostbite on the ends of his comb, but now (a few weeks later) with the warm weather, the black bits are falling off and his comb is re-growing in those places. I just hope it's not painful for him.

9. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Frostbite doesn't necessarily show up right away. So it could have happened before you got him, but hadn't turned color yet. You can see details on dealing with frostbite HERE . Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by