Why Are these Eggs Bloody?

erijn5

Songster
11 Years
May 8, 2008
South Central IL
I have a 1 1/2yr white Pekin duck. She lays 1 egg every day. I pick the eggs up every Day along with my chicken eggs because I sell my eggs. Today we decided to eat some of the duck eggs for breakfast, as I cracked them a couple of them were pretty full of blood. They also had a yolk and they were fertilized, by our male Pekin. Can someone give me a clue what is going on here?
idunno.gif

Thanks!

I am no expert by any means, but my guess would be that they had started to develop. I'm sure someone else can give you a better idea of what's going on. I'll be curious to find out.

The only part of the confusion is that I pick up the
eggs EVERY DAY. So let me think? How long do you think she would have to sit on them a night to make them like this, if she lays at night time.
She has to be laying between 9:00pm-7am. Because there is one every morning. Silly as it is that big ol' duck uses my chicken laying box too!
smile.png

And I can never catch her!!! I'd like to see her in that box just to see what a tight squeeze that is!
tongue.png
I don't see how she can even turn around.

But anyway, please give me some more input, it is greatly appreciated!

It takes 3-4 days for any type of life, blood ,to start to be noticable.
So, If you are getting all of them daily, I dont know what the heck is going on there. You would never notice blood, from just 1 nights incubation.
And, I too have a fat ol duck that likes getting into the boxes! LOL
I guess they are mostly the same.
Aubrey

hey, if you get another egg like this, take a pic of it and post it here so we can get a better look at what you are talking about too!

Quote:
Sounds like my girl, she lays sometime, I think, maybe in the early morning hours too, as there is always an egg?
big_smile.png
I collect my eggs from her when I let them all out. Haven't run into any fertilized ones yet? Hope not, but like you stated, how could they be, if you collect them each morning, right?
hu.gif

I had that happen to a chicken egg and we collect the eggs everyday. My husband told me what causes that and I can't remember. I need to ask him.

Last edited:
Mrs. Turbo :

I had that happen to a chicken egg and we collect the eggs everyday. My husband told me what causes that and I can't remember. I need to ask him.

Keep me posted....
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom