Why Are these Eggs Bloody?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by erijn5, Feb 21, 2009.

1. erijn5

erijn5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    South Central IL
    I have a 1 1/2yr white Pekin duck. She lays 1 egg every day. I pick the eggs up every Day along with my chicken eggs because I sell my eggs. Today we decided to eat some of the duck eggs for breakfast, as I cracked them a couple of them were pretty full of blood. They also had a yolk and they were fertilized, by our male Pekin. Can someone give me a clue what is going on here?
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. Lolliegee

Lolliegee Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    I am no expert by any means, but my guess would be that they had started to develop. I'm sure someone else can give you a better idea of what's going on. I'll be curious to find out.

3. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Quote:Yep I'd have to say they had been sat on and incubated for a few days, 4 -7 sounds like

4. erijn5

May 8, 2008
    South Central IL
    The only part of the confusion is that I pick up the
    eggs EVERY DAY. So let me think? How long do you think she would have to sit on them a night to make them like this, if she lays at night time.
    She has to be laying between 9:00pm-7am. Because there is one every morning. Silly as it is that big ol' duck uses my chicken laying box too! [​IMG]

And I can never catch her!!! I'd like to see her in that box just to see what a tight squeeze that is![​IMG] I don't see how she can even turn around.

But anyway, please give me some more input, it is greatly appreciated!

5. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    It takes 3-4 days for any type of life, blood ,to start to be noticable.
    So, If you are getting all of them daily, I dont know what the heck is going on there. You would never notice blood, from just 1 nights incubation.
    And, I too have a fat ol duck that likes getting into the boxes! LOL
    I guess they are mostly the same.
    Aubrey

hey, if you get another egg like this, take a pic of it and post it here so we can get a better look at what you are talking about too!

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Quote:Sounds like my girl, she lays sometime, I think, maybe in the early morning hours too, as there is always an egg? [​IMG] I collect my eggs from her when I let them all out. Haven't run into any fertilized ones yet? Hope not, but like you stated, how could they be, if you collect them each morning, right? [​IMG]

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    They like to hide eggs. Could these have been hidden and uncovered in their nest?

8. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    I had that happen to a chicken egg and we collect the eggs everyday. My husband told me what causes that and I can't remember. I need to ask him.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  9. erijn5

May 8, 2008
    South Central IL
    Quote:She only lays in the same left hand side corner hole every day.....such a reliable duck!!!! Good OL' MABLE!

[​IMG]

10. erijn5

May 8, 2008
    South Central IL
    Mrs. Turbo :

I had that happen to a chicken egg and we collect the eggs everyday. My husband told me what causes that and I can't remember. I need to ask him.

Keep me posted....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by