Why are these yolks orange?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bluegrass, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Bluegrass

Bluegrass New Egg

Jun 30, 2011
    I bought these local eggs and the yolks are orange. Do some chicken's yolks just go orange naturally or did they just eat something funny?

2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    It means they eat a diet with alot of grass and fresh foods. The betacarrotiene in these foods make the yolks deeper. It's actually healthier for you.

3. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    lol I used to think years ago there was something seriously wrong with the eggs and would throw them out....boy was I ever wrong!!! The deep yellow or orange is a quality you WANT to have.!!!!

4. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    Orange yolks come from happy healthy hens that eat a varied diet with a lot of grees/pature grass. They have less cholesterol and more nutrients than yellow yolked eggs. Enjoy! [​IMG]

5. Bluegrass

Bluegrass New Egg

Jun 30, 2011
    Well that's good to know beacuase iate it anyway. There was only one orange yolk in the whole dozen which made me think twice.

6. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    I let all my birds free range, but my hens are the lazy type. They don't go far & I can always find them without any effort. My guineas are out from 6am- dark. I usually only see them for moments during the day, when they come to get a drink or lay an egg. Each day they are busy finding all the good food in the woods. Their yolks are a shade of orange all the time. My laying hens have dark yellow yolks. However they are no where near the color of the yolk in the guinea eggs. maybe you have a single hen that prefers foraging more than the rest of your flock.

7. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    We're so used to the pale-yellow mass produced robo-eggs that when we get an egg with the color yolk eggs should have we think something is wrong!

8. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Cat........do you cook up the guinea eggs?

9. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    Ha my SIL, who always thinks I do everything wrong anyway, said to me, "I hear you have some very strange, funny-looking eggs." No idea what she was talking about. "I hear the yolks are ORANGE." I told her, "You know that's the color eggs are supposed to be, right?"

[​IMG]

deb g

10. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    Quote:We do cook some guinea eggs, they are VERY hard to crack open. I smack them on the back of a butter knife. We don't cook very many, most get incubated. Or sold as fertile eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by