Why Are They Doing This?!?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Fussy8, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Fussy8

Fussy8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Utah
    Hello every one I have a kind of urgent but minor emergency. Today I went out to the coop after school and took my roo out like I usually do! well my grandmother and father fed the chickens some tomatoes and they got it on their feathers. Well it looked as if my roo had it on his tail. He had a very beautiful tail by the way... well it was not tomato it was pure thick dark red blood [​IMG] !!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] I did not know who had done it until our dominant hen attacked her sister [​IMG] and then- odd enough- scratched her beak on the ground in a line drawing motion. [​IMG] WHAT THE SIN!!!!! I left him out in the main part of the shed for the night so he can rest. he also has been loosing a lot of his feathers on his crest...I need this solved soon because we are moving in a while...should I get rid of the hen ( I WON"T get rid of my sweet rooster) or should we have chicken for dinner one night HAHAHAH WAY NOT SERIOUS THAT IS EVEN GROSS TO TALK ABOUT!! Please help me... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I would get rid of the hen and eliminate the problem. If your hen is aggressive to people then I wouldn't sell or give her away either, thats only passing your problems onto someone else.

3. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    I'm sorry, it sounds like you have a pecking issue. We had that too with our dominant hen, she'd give the others hell before she passed away. I guess you could separate your hen for a while. As for scratching the beak on the ground... They do that after they've just had something to eat, mine do it all the time. They do it on my feet, on each others' backs... pretty normal.

4. Fussy8

Fussy8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Utah
    ok that sounds good! she is not mean to people shes just mean to the roo and her sister! thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by