Why are they growing so slow??

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by yotetrapper, May 1, 2009.

1. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    I mean, granted, they're growing a lot quicker than a normal chicken, but today at 6.5 weeks old my cornish X are only small bantam size? I thought you butchered them at 6 weeks?? If I butchered mine now, I would only have chicken nuggets!

What am I doing wrong?

2. Neil Grassbaugh

Neil Grassbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    What are you feeding them?
    They should be weighing around 6.2 lbs average.

3. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Your chicks were probably hatched from replacement parent stock young pullet eggs which are smaller than those layed by more mature hens, usually early in the year. In turn those chicks grow slower.

4. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    6 lbs? Ha! I'd be shocked if they weighed 3! I'm feeding them Nutrena Meatbird Food. They came from Welp Hatchery. The feedstore I bought them from still had some leftover last week from the batch I bought, and they were the same size as mine. [​IMG]

What is the latest I can butcher them without them being tough?

5. Neil Grassbaugh

Neil Grassbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Quote:But not that slow Bozz.
    In commercial birds we would expect first lay, female line, chicks to be only five days behind teminal cross.

The feed is correct.

I have to wonder if maybe they are not meat chickens but some breed or layer males.

With what you are feedng them the muscle will not start to firm up until 10 weeks of age - if they are meat chickens.

6. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Since yotetrapper says that he would be shocked if they weighed 3 lbs. at 6.5 weeks, I would tend to agree that they are not a Cornish X meat bird but possibly a dual purpose breed, or a egg laying breed. Many feedstore employees just don't seam to know the difference.

7. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    I'm on my way out the door now to work, but I'll get some pictures in the next couple of days. I raise a lot of egg chickens, and even my dual purpose birds like wyandottes aren't growing quite as fast as these are. I dont know, but I am certain they are no where near 6lbs. They're actually a little smaller than my silkeie roos, about the size of a silkie hen.

8. Oceanseve

Oceanseve Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    Ours are about 5 weeks and I just weighed a handful of them 3-4 lbs. I think we have been underfeeding ours though. HTH

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by