Why are they just eating my green eggs!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ZetaPet, Nov 18, 2014.

1. ZetaPet

ZetaPet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2014
    Billings, Montana
    I think I have an egg eater ( or multiple) But they are just eating the green ones!! We had a really cold snap and some eggs froze and cracked and now boom, no more green eggs, and shells all over the place. (I might be stretching that a little, its happened to two eggs) But I don't know what to do next. The Easter egger has decided to lay on the ground outside so I have that problem, and now the other chickens are (or chicken) are messing them up!!! What do I do?????[​IMG]

2. ZetaPet

Apr 30, 2014
    Billings, Montana
    Anyone??[​IMG]

3. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Try filing green eggshells with Tabasco sauce or their own crap. They should not want them anymore. If they try eating the other eggs, do it to those ones to.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    My chickens have no problem eating jalapenos, Tabasco, mustard or anything else that's typically recommended to use to stop egg eaters. I've also seen them sample their own poo on more than one occasion (eww).
    I regularly feed my chickens extra or dirty eggs, and have never had a problem with them eating the ones they aren't supposed to. However, one thing I've noticed when I give them eggs, is that they eat all of it. Including every bit of the shell. There's nothing left, except maybe a wet spot because they just couldn't clean it up. But, when I had a pest problem (mice in particular), I'd find egg shells everywhere. Sometimes they'd be in pieces, or just halved, or there'd just be a small hole chewed in the shell. Once I took care of the mice, my eggs were safe again. As for just the green ones being taken, that is odd. I don't think the chickens would discriminate if they'd become egg eaters (though I don't think mice would either). Maybe there's an issue with the shell quality on them?
    If your eggs are freezing and breaking, I don't think you can really fault the chickens for cleaning them up. Collect them several times a day and try to figure out if the chickens are actually the ones making them disappear.
    Good luck!

5. ZetaPet

Apr 30, 2014
    Billings, Montana
    Yeah I think your right. Although there have been a couple times where there was yoke on the other eggs. It hard to tell and this has just started. Do you think they are not getting enough food?? I am constantly filling up their dishes. Also it only the eggs outside that get whacked. I have killed a pack rat by their coop a couple of months ago....It was huge!! I thought It was a chinchilla!!
    I have taken all the straw out of the enclosed run where the EE's are laying outside so I'm hoping this will work.
    Has anyone heard of the ceramic egg thing working???

6. ZetaPet

Apr 30, 2014
    Billings, Montana
    I found out that it is the chickens!!!! So I watched and waited for them to crack one of the eggs, then took it and filled it with that anti-pecking paste. I really thinking Its working. I will let you all know if it is a fail. Fingers crossed!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by