Why are they not going inside???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Half-a-dozen, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Half-a-dozen

Half-a-dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    [​IMG] My babies are now 6 weeks old. They are well adjusted to thier coop, run, big door and little chicken door as they have been using it for a couple weeks now. I leave a light on in thier coop at night "night light".
    I have been trying to test them and see if they will go in at night by themselves and they NEVER do!!!!
    Tonight it was a lot cooler 55 degrees, so I did not chase them in but left them to see what they would do (it is even drissling out and cold!!!)
    I just went out there (11:00 pm) to find [​IMG] all of them bunched in a corner of the run "outside" sleeping!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Why Ohh WHY!!! are they doing this.
    Wouldn't, shouldn't they understand its warm inside!!!, My roost is inside, !!! I'm safer INSIDE!!!!

Ohh goodness what to do what to do????????????? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

PLEASE SOMEONE ADVISE!!!! [​IMG]

2. missusduray

missusduray Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    Northern Minnesota
    The best way to get them to realize that inside is home is to keep them there without access to outside for 12 to 24 hours. I did this with mine and they return to the coop every night between 9 and 10. Are you expecting them to go to bed to soon? can you put them in at night and lock them in there. If you can do that for a week and they should get the idea. Hope this helps.
    Kristyne

3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Well that just sucks. I wish i could tell you why. I didn't realize i was so lucky as mine go in and put themselves to bed before its even finished getting dark. Maybe its because mine 'only' had access to the henhouse for the first week. The pen was not ready, but it was bigger than the brooder box so i kept them there til the outside pen could be opened up for them. Did yours get access to both at the same time? Does that make any sense? how big is the hen house? and how old are the chicks?

4. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I can only tell you my experience...mine were about 5 1/2 weeks old when we put them in the coop and did not let them out of the coop for two full weeks. Then we let them into the fenced area. We had to coax them into the coop at dusk for the first several nights and now they go on their own at dusk. we lock them up at night for their safety and let them loose in the mornings. They are catching on now that they should return to the coop for roosting. Fresh water and fresh food are waiting for them.

5. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    The first couple nights, at dusk, I went in their run, called them and lured them into the house with scratch, on the 3rd night they started going in there on their own.
    2 nights ago, they finally stopped going in the corner of the house to sleep and started using the roosts.

They always go in around dusk now.

We haven’t had any real hot weather here to make them Not want to go in, they spend about half their day in their house and the other half in their coop--- their choice. At night I lock them in the house... I don’t think the raccoon that’s been hanging around, appreciates that fact.

Maybe start from scratch on cooler nights... sorry for the pun [​IMG]

6. cookiesdaddy

cookiesdaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    California Bay Area
    I guess I got lucky too. When I first put them in the enclosed run, the coop wasn't ready (no roost). I left the box where they used to stayed in as chicks and they just go in there at night. When I finished building them comfortable roosts, I placed a couple of the girls there and they stayed there only a minute or so. I removed the box, and that evening they went right to the roost. Amazing!

I'm amazed how they just "turn themselves in" at dusk! HERE'S SOMETHING YOU CAN TRY: Remove the little night light from the coop! I think one of the reasons my chicks turn themselves in so early is because they know when it's totally dark, they can't see enough to go anywhere, and they would roost there until morning. Perhaps you little light bulb is discouraging them from going inside???

Please let us know how you resolve this problem.

7. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    mine have a night light too, no effect there with mine, they just go in when it starts to get dark and cooler.
    Also, mine had a small roost in their brooder that i had thrown together, when they went to their coop i put that roost in the house to make it seem like home.

8. Half-a-dozen

Half-a-dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    they are staying out weather hot or cold, light or no light [​IMG]
    i also have been putting them in every night for two weeks!!!!!! [​IMG]
    Can they just sleep out in thier run if they want to and like it there???
    They are not getting it.
    They have been confined to thier coop for an entire day in fact about 4 (until the run was done) [​IMG]

9. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    As it has already been stated, put them in the coop, with food and water, and leave them in there for 2 full weeks. That's long enough for them to begin to feel it's home. Then, after 2 full weeks, start letting them into the run for an hour or two just before sunset. And do this for a week. Once you feel they are finally getting the idea, then let them out earlier and earlier each day. What have you got to loose to just give this routine a try???

10. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    cgrn-we found we had to coax ours into the coop the past two nights but it was because we were ready to go in and shower and not have to come back out and mess with them late tonight. I sure understand your concern! It must be frustrating for you. Is your outside run safe from predators? I would think they would want to be inside where it is safe and dry. I honestly don't know what else to offer. Please keep us posted and my good wishes will be with you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by