Why are they not laying as many eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by natyvidal, Jul 21, 2019.

1. natyvidal

natyvidal Chirping

Mar 1, 2018
    My girls were laying 13-16 eggs a day. Now they are laying less than 10. Some of them have stopped completely or becoming broody. I really don’t want any chicks from mixed heritage breeds so I keep collecting the few eggs. I also have fake eggs which I am substituting with the real I es for the sake of the broodies.

Is it the heat?
    They are not moulting.
    There are no changes in their diets.

Thank you ahead of time for your advice.

Compost King likes this.
  2. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Extreme heat can reduce production.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    How old are they ? They may just have reached a break in their laying cycle. Of course the broody hens are no longer laying.

4. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

If the age is right molting may be starting.
    Some of mine are starting, it is early but it is happening. At least they won't freeze like last year.:)

5. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    All of the above

6. natyvidal

natyvidal Chirping

Mar 1, 2018
    Thank you! I believe it might be the heat. We live in Dade City, Fl. And it’s hot, hot, hot!

Otherwise they seem very healthy so it must be that. Thank you again.

Compost King likes this.
  7. natyvidal

natyvidal Chirping

Mar 1, 2018
    They are only 8 months old. Still young.

Compost King likes this.
  8. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

They'll have a mini molt soon then, not the full shabang but just a teeny one.:)

Compost King likes this.
  9. Kayla's Lunch

Kayla's Lunch Songster

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland
    Don't let the broodies stay broody if they aren't going to hatch eggs. You'll need to break them. I just learned that when I recently had 2 go broody.

10. jas humbert

jas humbert Songster

Jul 2, 2015
    Tennessee
    It's your choice whether to try to break the broodies. You don't absolutely "need" to. In addition to my big girls I have a bunch of silkies which means generally at least one is broody. I honestly don't worry about it much. I collect eggs daily. My broodies seem to get out often enough to eat and drink and stay healthy. They give up after 4-6 weeks usually and all summer I've got a ready broody if i want to pick up chicks at the farm store or order special eggs. It does cut into egg production which may be a concern for some, so I can see doing it either way.

Compost King likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: