Why are they .....**PICTURE ADDED**

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickengirlnm, Oct 11, 2007.

1. chickengirlnm

chickengirlnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    I know this time of year chickens are losing thier feathers ( my first time having chickens during a molt and they look awful LOL ),
    My question is it normal for them to kinda pick on each other during this time? I have two girls that tail feathers are really looking short, and I see other girls go over and pull out a fearther and eat it -- they have only been doing this since the molt and get along the rest of the time - there is no blood, no sores, they have plenty of room,food,water,treats this is only been going on since the molt so I know it is not beacuse of over crowding and none are sick, just wondering if they will stop once the molt season is over?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  2. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    Mine pick each other all the time especially Maggy, cause she's molting. One of my hens is just mean and she makes them bleed.

3. chickengirlnm

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    well so far they are not drawing blood and they have never done this before - so do you think it will pass when they stop molting?
    the girls that are being picked on are still eating and doing every thing like normal - and all my hens except one are the same age ( got them at the same time ).

4. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    It should stop. I give mine soft dog food for extra protein and that helps alot.

5. chickengirlnm

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    I will try the soft dog food ( hubby will think i am crazy ) and the dogs might get mad - since I have not given them any yet- normally give it to the dogs during winter or anytime some one has puppies-so I will have to hide the cans from them LOL

Thanks for the help

6. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Eating feathers can be a sign of lacking protien. some dog or cat food should help give them what they need.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It certainly can be, but my Ameraucanas eat them all the time (off the ground, not off each other) and their feed is a breeder/layer feed with 22% protein, and animal protein at that. I can't imagine they have a lack of protein. I do think sometimes chickens just do eat feathers and maybe it's for some extra nutrient besides protein that their human caretakers just don't know about. The older flock, my molters, have been getting a handful of catfood occasionally lately and the Ameraucanas get a bite or two of that as well when I toss it, so their protein is up there. If they're just eating them off the ground, that may not be a serious thing. If they are plucking each other, then that is a slightly different problem.
    Dog food usually has 22-25% protein, whereas catfood has 28-30%, just as a reference. Just go easy on it because it has more salt than chickens need.

8. chickengirlnm

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    ok I am heading to the store to buy dog food for my chickens - hubby still thinks I am crazy but what else is new LOL
    question- What is best can or dry? should it be puppy or adult? and what brand do you think they would perfer LOL

9. chickengirlnm

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    ok here is a picture of one of the girls who has the short tail feathers.. she is not sick , no sores or blood or anything they just walk up and grab a feather - I will giving them dog food in the morning ( as soon as I find out what kind is better)

[​IMG]

10. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Cat food is great for them during a molt. This is what I do....I am a freebie addict. I get little "presents" in the mail almost daily! I get all the free cat food samples I can find on the internet...and just throw a few handfull out there to them a couple times a week. Its like 50 kids under a broken piƱata. They LOVE it. My family members think I am an elcheapo....but, We have to cut corners every way possible now that I can no longer work...and only takes a few minutes of my time on the computer every day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by