Why are they SO hard to sex??? FINALLY PIC!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Nov 15, 2008.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Yeah, I'll post pics as soon as I can.....

But why are some chicks so hard to sex? [​IMG] I have barred rocks that are all the same age (About 14-15 weeks). One is clearly a roo, two are clearly female, pale ears. pale small combs and just emerging wattles. But then there is number three: no where near as developed as the roo but with a very red face! [​IMG] Is it a tomboy hen or a girly man roo? [​IMG]

I also have three buffs (orps I think) two are clearly female, one is iffy. Doesn't look really rooish, but its face is redder than the others.

Is it a hormone thing?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  2. skand

skand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Odessa, Tx
    i havent a clue, we have a buff that I named sunshine...two days ago, sunshine turned into a boy. Now I feel bad for the girly name.

3. I have WHAT in my yard?

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Can you call him Sonny instead?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

By eight weeks, no BRs should be a mystery anymore. I realize that there is the occasional one that will try to fool you, but that breed is easy to sex, most of the time. Can you post a pic? Is that one lighter in color, does it have a dark wash down the fronts of the legs, or are they very yellow?

5. I have WHAT in my yard?

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Quote:I have no pics of just that one and it is raining cats and dogs here so I can't get one now. I'll do one tomorrow. OK?

I don't recall that it looks any different than the others except for the face.... The roo-y one has thicker legs, but not by much.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Just get a pic whenever you can. We had awful weather here today, too. Could be a late blooming rooster, but maybe a chunky hen, so we'll know more when we can see the bird.

7. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    waitin for da pic

8. I have WHAT in my yard?

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    I cannot get picture place to send me the picture it is saying I cannot access my account...

I hate technology sometimes.

As soon as I figure it out I'll let you know, but my cell is the only digital camera I have.

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have WHAT in my yard? :

I cannot get picture place to send me the picture it is saying I cannot access my account...

I hate technology sometimes.

As soon as I figure it out I'll let you know, but my cell is the only digital camera I have.

Do you have a photobucket account? You can upload from a cell phone.
    http://photobucket.com/

10. I have WHAT in my yard?

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    [​IMG]

OK Finally, I got his/her pic! The roo looks SO much more male than this and the hens all have yellow ears. What is this boy or girl?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by