Why are they so unhappy?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cat Water, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    My chickens make these weird noises. they almost sound like they are whining. I hate discribing sounds, but it is like braaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwkkkkkkkkk braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwkkkkkkkkk, brawk brawk BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWKKKKKKKKKK! Are they as miserable as they sound, or what? They always do it. So they want something or are they just making noise? Please help.

2. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    1) They either want treats or they want to be let out. They whine. Constantly. It's something you need to get used to.

2) It may be the egg song. If it sounds like bok bok bok bok baGAWK! then they're just announcing that they've laid an egg.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

My Golden Sex Links whine ALL the time.

It makes me feel horribly guilty. I am trying to get used to it.
    [​IMG]

4. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Quote:Oh, you will... eventually it becomes background noise.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:Oh, you will... eventually it becomes background noise.

[​IMG]

6. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    My girls tend to make more noise when I'm around, I'll sneak outside and sit in my screened in porch, they'll be all quiet then they smell my cigarette, and they start to look for me.the noise level goes up

7. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I've had chickens for over a year and a half now, and my first chickens never did that...fairly quiet bunch [​IMG] But the chicks I got this past spring are completely different! The Gold Laced Wyandotte and the Speckled Sussex are the loudest, and make that noise you're describing. And I think it's only when I'm around...they're quiet when they don't know I'm there...silly chickens!

8. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    My FBCM is the complainer in my group. The instant she sees me, she wants something. [​IMG]

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I hear it too, just as they come running when they see me. They are looking for treats, which I amy or may not have. If not, they are louder.

10. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Cat Water, that is the exact sound mine make when they see me. Maybe it's a human alert.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by