Why are they?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MonkeyZero, Sep 17, 2007.

1. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Well as many people said I have 2 pullets. I put in a box and they just sit there. They are 2months old. They are using the same box. Dothey thing they will lay, when do they start laying? Is it normal for them to be sitting in the box at sucj age??

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

They don't have any notion of egg laying yet. Give them nest boxes when they are 4 months old so they do not learn to sleep in it. Make sure you have roosts higher than the nest boxes and only let them sleep on the roost. When they do lay, they will probally share one box.

3. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Do you have a coop built for them yet or do you still have them in a brooder box?

4. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    They usually start laying around 22 weeks (from my reading here), which would be 5 and a half months old...just a bit early for your pullets at 2 months old.

Dawn

Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  5. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    we origionally bought 65. 40 we butchered , 4 died early , we now have 21 . two roo's , the rest pullets . mine started lto lay at about three months . we usually get 14-18 eggs a day . but it probably depends on the breed . i have 3 turkens , three rhode island reds , 2 red stars , 3 barred rocks , 2 black silkes , 4 barred rock bantams , 2 brahmas, and two meat chickens that i can't remember the breed.

6. MonkeyZero

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    they are in a huge cage with high roosts. They only sit in the box at 5:30 pm-6 pm. They roost at night. I wanted toknow if its normal

7. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    If it is there, they will sit in it just because it is there, which equals normal. [​IMG]

Edited to add:
    If they aren't ready to lay yet, I'd close the box off or else alot of poo will collect in it.

Dawn

Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  8. MonkeyZero

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    They dont poo in there.[​IMG]

9. MonkeyZero

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Newchickenmom&kids :

Haimish:It's real interesting to read your posts on this site...entertaining one might say....OR NOT!!

what makes you say that​

10. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Quote:what makes you say that

I think sometimes people may not take into account the broad spectrum of people who post on here, but if they think about it, it might make more sence.

Does that make sense [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by