Why are threads so long?

Boneheadeb

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 31, 2013
Cedarhome, Washington
I rarely use this site simply because the length of forum threads is too daunting. Some run into the thousands for replies. Who can slog through all of that? I understand if it is a chat thread, but my primary objective in joining was to quickly find answers to questions. I don't find the site very user-friendly for that purpose. Am I missing something?

I rarely use this site simply because the length of forum threads is too daunting. Some run into the thousands for replies. Who can slog through all of that? I understand if it is a chat thread, but my primary objective in joining was to quickly find answers to questions. I don't find the site very user-friendly for that purpose. Am I missing something?
BYC has excellent search functions. Took me a while to figure out how handy they are.

BYC has the Main Forum page. If you use the "search this forum" icon:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/
it will keyword search the entire directory of all the forums. all the way down to
individual threads within specific forums. As with all the other search features,
you can choose to search for threads ( conversations) or individual post within threads.

There is also a hot key for "Advanced Search" which is even more nimble
allowing you to further refine your search.
Regardless of the layer of BYC you decide
to explore, clicking on the "search this forum" wil also give you the "Advanced search" option.

Or you can get more specific by choosing specific forum like "Raising Baby Chicks".
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/11/raising-baby-chicks
Use the "search this forum" search all the threads within that Forum. Or
refine your search with the "Advanced search" option.

Still more specific you can search within a specific thread within a forum.
Like going to the "Raising Chicks" forum and choosing a thread like : Chicken treats.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/876634/chicken-treats
and searching thru a thread for an individual topic or poster.
Again, you can use the "Advanced search: option.

Yes, you can search all of, or the many layers of , BYC for an specific poster's posts.
Just use the "Advanced search" option.
One thing I forgot to mention. Once you see your search results, you can choose
"recency" of post or "relevance" to find the hit which ,most closely matches your search words.

Once you get the hang of it, the search system is surprisingly nimble. Providing quick access
to all kinds of information.
Best Regards,
Karen

Last edited:
Well . . . there are about 260,000 members, so, yeah, the total posts run into the several million. Pretty tough to search out exactly what you're looking for. Search results take up pages, instead of lines. Probably why the same questions get asked time and a gain, further adding to the post count. Easier to ask and wait for an answer, than read through all the posts, looking for your specific answer. There is the "Learning Center", which I've never visited. It wasn't there when I joined, so, I found most my answers a long time ago.
I usually follow the unanswered posts, and throw my guess out there, then keep track of the other guesses that roll in.
If I really want to know the truth, I google the question and look for studies done by the different university agricultural departments.
Hey, for me, this is entertainment, while I'm recovering from surgery.

Back
Top Bottom