Why are vitamins with Iron bad for chickens? Or are they even?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NatureBoy86, Oct 21, 2011.

1. NatureBoy86

NatureBoy86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2011
    South Florida
    This is probly a rookie question but how else will I learn to be a pro. Lol

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    I would like to know too? [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  3. Davian

Davian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Vermont, USA
    Not sure personally but I would guess that chickens can easily OD on iron. Its one of those things that is very dangerous to have too much of (if I remember anything correctly from the health science course I took in college).

4. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    why do you want to give them vitamins? I don't worry about it cause mine free range and get all they need from the bugs they eat (I assume) or the feed. I don't know that I believe taking vitamin supplements is all that beneficial since they need different factors for absorption as well, so, a balanced diet is the most cost effective method of maintaining nutrition

5. NatureBoy86

NatureBoy86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2011
    South Florida
    Achickenwrangler#1 :

why do you want to give them vitamins? I don't worry about it cause mine free range and get all they need from the bugs they eat (I assume) or the feed. I don't know that I believe taking vitamin supplements is all that beneficial since they need different factors for absorption as well, so, a balanced diet is the most cost effective method of maintaining nutrition

I recently recieved a few new members to my ever growing flock and as usual I put them into quarantine for 3 weeks, I deworm, dip or dust, and give them a vitamin if necessary. I like to rescue sick birds from bad conditions and take pride in rehabilitating them back to health so that includes use of natural and manmade meds. And or supplements​

6. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    well, that makes sense. guess they nee all the help you can give them. I thought you meant routinely..However, I think iron is one of those that are in practically everything, and unless suffering from blood loss (or pregnancy) isn't high on the list. Fat soluable A D E K might be the first for malnutrition, and then of course, the antioxidants along with electolytes.
    I always suspected iron overload as a primary source for spontaneous abortion, but that's just me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by