Why are walk in house never tall enough

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jk47, Jan 6, 2014.

1. jk47

jk47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2013
    CA
    A friend of mine just got a coop that belonged to someone else and my friend is tall and can stand in there if he slouches other whys he hits is head what I don't get is the guy that built it was even taller and I noticed this that the houses never seem to be tall enough for a grown man to stand up fully while in the house and I was wondering what the logic was to not building the with a taller roof

2. Ashdoes

Ashdoes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2012
    Peyton, CO
    Sometimes it is based on city codes. In my area anything taller than six foot needs a permit. Our very large run is just under 6 feet, which saved a lot of time and money. That means I can stand in there just fine, but hubby can't.
    Another reason, a smaller chicken coop will stay a little warmer then a very large one. We're planning a Silkie coop, and I don't want it taller then five feet.
    I think it's up to the person building.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    The coop isn't too short the guy is just too tall. My husband is 5'5'' , he barely ever has issues with those 6ft sheds

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by