why are we fighting

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Tlco, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Tlco

Tlco Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2016
    Buffalo tx
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not the best picture of the Seabright will try and get better one. The two of them fight like roo's trying to spur each other and chase each other away from food. I have set up multi feeders so they can eat cuz found Seabright the other day had no food in the craw (?). Help plz. The Seabright is same age as other chick maybe little smaller in build

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    The word you are looking for is crop. The top black chicken is a cockerel. It is too early to tell for the other.

3. Tlco

Tlco Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2016
    Buffalo tx
    So you think they fight because both are roo's...they are same age 5 weeks. It's a bad pic of Seabright soon as it gets light outside I will get better pic...do the roo's fight with the hens same as another roo?

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I've not seen that kind of behaviour is chicks so young, personally. "Play" fighting, yes, but not defending food etc. I think i would separate the brooder for now, and ensure that your little one gets the nutrition it needs. The size of the brooder, lack of stimulation may be factors.

5. Cel45

Cel45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Hens do the same thing. My hens don't like to let the lowest in the pecking order eat and I have to put feed in seperate places. The black chick does look to be developing his comb and appears to be a cockerel. Can't tell the other from the pic.

6. Tlco

Tlco Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2016
    Buffalo tx
    By brooder do you mean hen? Or do you mean seperate the brooder coop by putting weaker one separate from others. No hen..just a small coop for now with heat lamp. There is a young hen in with them only Survivor from my first chicks, she is 8 week maybe 9 weeks old.

7. Tlco

Tlco Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2016
    Buffalo tx
    [​IMG]

Everybody sleeping this morning gonna get pictures of the Seabright in a sec and post...they have teat balls have to roll ball around for it to drop a treat and dust bath areas. Brooder house is small haven't added runner to it yet....

8. Tlco

Tlco Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2016
    Buffalo tx
    [​IMG]

This is the Seabright that the roo is sparing with..pretty sure she is a she. I see no red cone or waddles yet
    What do you think?

[​IMG]

This is temp run only out with supervised time..not secure yet

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    The little Sebright is going to starve if it isn't separated from the Bully. I'm assuming the black chick is not a bantam. Actually the black chick should be separated , sometimes a ' time out 'of a few days changes their attitude.

10. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Hey Tico as CTKen mentioned, I have also seen play fighting in young chicks but never to the extent of food denial. In my experience, the little girls tend to just walk away from it and do not accept a challenge or join in.

I agree with everyone else that the little black one is a boy; not sure on the Seabright, but thinking pullet.

I am guessing the little black one is probably going to be a bit of problem child/bully. If it was me, as suggested, I would try separating them. Perhaps leave the bully with the larger “young hen” who he probably will not pick on due to size difference. She may also give him a lesson on accepted behaviour [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by