Why Are You Raising Chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Shobe Biz, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Shobe Biz

Shobe Biz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2012
    I never imagined that I would be raising chickens. I dreamed of going Big Time--Broadway shows, etc. But, here I am, raising chickens and I wouldn't trade it for the world. What fun they are. Their antics! They make me laugh each and every day, except when I am chasing them around on the hill trying to save them from being a predator's lunch!

Here's my blog about raising chickens. I'd love to hear about why you raise chickens!

Chicken Women: Let Me Count The Ways

Chicken Women blog at chicken-women.blogspot.com

[​IMG]

2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    What a fun thread! Thanks for starting it! : )

I have a fair sized flock of mixed egg layers that we eat the eggs from and also sell them if we have extra. Then I have my breeding barn where I keep all my purebreds separated. I sell hatching eggs and chicks from them.

Several years ago I just had chickens for pets and eggs, but now it's becoming a home business.

Looking forward to other people's stories...

~ Aspen

1 person likes this.
  3. silkielover1731

silkielover1731 Chillin' With My Peeps

i just really wanted chickens they sounded so fun! all the time at the state fair "mommy i wanna go see the chickens!!!" finally i got them and now breeding silkies

1 person likes this.
  4. gickelvolk

gickelvolk Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Nebraska
    Simple.....

- Food
    - Entertaining hobby....

1 person likes this.
  5. barbiegirl

barbiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2012
    The Poconos Pa
    I am new to chickens and started for eggs and pets. I know that my chickens will be raised with love and be outside doing what chickens do.

1 person likes this.
  6. Melinda35

Melinda35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Texas
    It's in my blood! My grandparents had a chicken farm back in the 50s - 70s. They supplied HEB (major grocery store here in Texas) with eggs when HEB was still pretty small. My mother grew up gathering eggs four times a day. The chickens were all gone by the time I came along but the chicken houses were still there and lots of pictures and stories to get me interested. I never got to have any when I was growing up. When I got married my husband already had chickens but they were old and not real productive. The chicken house was falling apart and was just a snake magnet so it was moved and used for other things. With the kids older I started asking for a coop. It took me 10 years but I finally got. I am currently without chickens right now. I had to downsize big time and give my coop a makeover. I start nursing school in June and needed to make things a lot easier for me because my time will be very limited. I have 10 Salmon Favs hatching May 9! Can't wait. I have wanted these for a long time. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I like chickens! Ain't no other reason.

8. yakibert

yakibert Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Whidbey Island, Wa
    I've been wanting chickens for about 4 years now. Mostly as a trend towards being more self-sufficient (not anywhere close to that goal yet). Two years ago, I moved to a city only to find out I can't have chickens in the city. Then recently I was able to buy a house - AND have chickens. One step closer.

Even though I have mine for eggs, they are pets as well. I have two now - but will be adding more later ..maybe two each year. We'll see ...I'm trying to NOT learn that Chicken Math.

9. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Always wanted chickens, now that crap is going down hill, it's for self sufficient living. My girls are my babies, but for some reason this last few months my eggs have been tasting fish, I can not eat them, the taste puts me off. I'm trying to find soy free foods, no suck luck around here yer :(

10. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    We were moving from California to Texas, and were going to have an acre of land. My two daughters love animals, and I who never raised chickens before, wanted fresh eggs. So last year, two months after we moved, we got 15 chicks, one turned out to be a roo, who in less than two weeks will become a Daddy, if all goes well. I have two hens who went broody a week apart, and there are 10 eggs between them. So we shall see, my girls can't wait.
    I also have 13 - 6 & 4 week old chicks to expand my flock of colored eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by