Why aren’t my hens laying yet??

Orps4life

In the Brooder
Sep 20, 2017
Gulf coast ms
Ok, bear with me please. I have aussies and orpingtons that are all 26 weeks old and they haven’t started laying yet. The orps have more red on their combs than some of aussies. They are on cracked corn and layer pellets (organic). Thanks so much.

Put them back on a non medicated grower. Switching too early to a layer for a slower maturing breed will cause them to mature even slower. Adding cracked corn to an already lower protein feed will make things worse.

Generally Orpingtons and Australorp start laying between 5-6 months of age. Fall maturing pullets will take about a month longer to sexually mature.

Also, you can tell when your girls are really close by feeling their pelvic bones. Pick up your chicken, backwards; with their head facing behind you. Look for the vent. If its dry looking, they aren't ready. If it looks wide and moist, they're getting there. Then, put your fingers on either side of the vent and feel around for two bones poking out on either side. These are the pelvic bones. Just like women, wide bones means sexual maturity, or in this case; egg laying. Your looking for pelvic bones that are 3 finger widths apart. Once your there, the girls are ready to push out those eggs.

Put them back on a non medicated grower. Switching too early to a layer for a slower maturing breed will cause them to mature even slower. Adding cracked corn to an already lower protein feed will make things worse.

Generally Orpingtons and Australorp start laying between 5-6 months of age. Fall maturing pullets will take about a month longer to sexually mature.
This is why I hatch my chicks in October so they start laying in April. It has worked well for me for years. Im in Alabama so we don't have the extreme cold here

Back
Top Bottom