Why aren’t my hens molting?

TheOddOneOut

Naughty 🙄🤚
Premium Feather Member
Feb 15, 2020
Home
It’s October and my girls, who are at the age for their first real molt (18 months) and they haven’t dropped a feather. I feel it’s time, don’t you think?
They have scruffy, broken feathers they need to molt out. So why aren’t they?
627C75A7-B9F0-493B-B2A3-EDADF3853FBF.jpeg

cavemanrich

Addict
7 Years
Apr 6, 2014
Melrose Park Illinois
Chicken molt when they need to.. They do not follow a certain guideline, or date. The may start molting in November,,, and there are also possibilities of a hard molt, or a staggered soft molt. In my small flock,,, some have finished molting 2 months ago,, and some have not started yet. They may also wait until spring.
I am in similar weather stage as you are. Autumn is starting to show up. and winter is on its way.
Beautiful flock :love BTW, are 6 all hens??

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

TheOddOneOut

Naughty 🙄🤚
Premium Feather Member
Feb 15, 2020
Home
Chicken molt when they need to.. They do not follow a certain guideline, or date. The may start molting in November,,, and there are also possibilities of a hard molt, or a staggered soft molt. In my small flock,,, some have finished molting 2 months ago,, and some have not started yet. They may also wait until spring.
I am in similar weather stage as you are. Autumn is starting to show up. and winter is on its way.
Beautiful flock :love BTW, are 6 all hens??

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:
All girls. I’ve raised 10 store-bought chicks and not 1 was a rooster! 4 no longer reside here but I get to visit them. :love
They lay beautiful colors. I’ll be missing these eggs in the dead of winter.
F24F3B25-80D7-48AE-A820-E8734F8D7304.jpeg

TheOddOneOut

Naughty 🙄🤚
Premium Feather Member
Feb 15, 2020
Home
Yes,,, I know they take a break,,,, a much deserved break :hugs ,,, But you can keep your extra eggs for a long time If you decide to refrigerate them. There is another option,,,,, if interested, and I can link thread for you.
Water glassing in lime.
Yes, I’ll have to start popping some in the refrigerator!

Top Bottom