Why aren't easter egger eggs not sold in grocery stores

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MonicaAndHer6, Sep 22, 2013.

1. MonicaAndHer6

MonicaAndHer6 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2013
    Seems like it be a big hit.

2. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

I really don't know. I know my daughter LOVES the blue eggs. I can hardly keep any around. As soon as I gather any she wants to eat them.

3. MonicaAndHer6

Sep 3, 2013
    But I'm glad they aren't cause of the abuse that comes w being a commercialized hen

4. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    It is very simple. To break even the egg farmer would need to charge $20 or more per dozen.

5. MonicaAndHer6

Sep 3, 2013
    Why I don't think it costs more money to raise a leghorn or ee

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Not all EEs lay blue eggs. Actually, EEs tend to lay eggs more greenish than blue... Anyway, some lay tan eggs or brown eggs just like any brown egg laying breed. A farmer would have to have a whole lot of EE hens to ensure enough eggs were the preferred green or blue. EEs are MIXES. Mixed breed chickens with a wonderful variety of breeds and strains which are deliberately bred to specific other breeds to obtain the "best" color of eggs. Or not, like those in my flock. I am lucky to have an EE rooster which "throws" the green egg gene, so his daughters might also (and have) lay green eggs. All White Leghorns lay white eggs. Easy peasy. The farmer is only feeding one breed which happens to lay only white eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by