Why aren't my 5 Chickens laying eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Olivia walter, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Olivia walter

Olivia walter New Egg

Oct 15, 2012
    Hi there,
    I own 5 laying hen\chickens. They are only laying up to 1 egg a day, which is very odd. One of the chickens are molting, but the others have already been through the process over a month ago. We feed them a corn\scratch grain for the day, and give them regular food with oyster shells at night.
    We're thinking the corn may be clogging them, but we're not for sure... It is starting to get into the fall season, but that shouldn't be stopping them. I know some people, they have 4 hens and they live in the city and get 3 to 4 eggs a day. Am I doing something wrong? We give them medicine twice a year for mites\parasites, so I know that they are not sick. What do you think the problem is? We haven't gotten 3 to 4 eggs since early summer. We're getting a little disappointed. :(

2. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    From what I have read, scratch is not a good diet for chickens. It's okay for a treat but shouldn't make up more than 10% of their diet. I feed my pullets a good flock grower feed with added oyster shells. My 8 pullets give me 6 or 7 eggs a day. The lady across the street, with the same breeds of pullets (we shared a batch) plus 10 others she bought is getting 1 or 2 eggs a day. She feeds hers the scratch grains and corn you are feeding. She came over to look at my girls. She says mine are bigger and have shinier feathers. She's going to change her feed.

3. Olivia walter

Olivia walter New Egg

Oct 15, 2012
    Okay, I'm glad I asked. What is the name of the feed you give them during the day? I'm going to make a switch and go to that feed and see if I can get some improvements. [​IMG] Also what do you feed them at night?

4. wamtazlady

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    I am feeding them Nutrena All Flock. In the past I have used a Layena layer feed, however, I have roosters now. The extra calcium in the layer food is not good for the roosters. I just add a dish of oyster shells in their pen for the girls who need the calcium. I also use the pellet food rather than crumbles. They don't wasted as much with the pellets and I'm not left with the bottom of the bag full of powder that they won't eat.

I'd say that most any layer food would work well for you. You can use the scratch you have as a treat.

5. wamtazlady

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    Sorry, I forgot about your last question as to what I feed at night. They get the same feed all the time, day or night. They are locked in their coop at night and don't have access to food until morning. I usually feed them their treats in the afternoon. They normally get watermelon or cantaloupe. Sometimes they get tater tots left over from when we eat out at the local pub.

6. Olivia walter

Olivia walter New Egg

Oct 15, 2012
    Okay, Thank you for your help. I'll try the Layena Layer Feed because they need the extra calcium. [​IMG]

7. 777wonderwoman

777wonderwoman New Egg

Jan 26, 2015
    Hi there,
    We recently started growing chickens. We have 2 adult ones, one americauna who started laying right at about 25 weeks but the other girl, a Rhode Island Red has yet to lay her first egg. She is almost 30 weeks! How much longer should we wait??
    Your response will greatly be appreciated
    Gladys

8. wamtazlady

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    They lay when they are mature enough. Does yours have a red comb and face? Does she squat when you put your hand on her back? Does she show any interest in the nesting box?

I have a Buff Orpington that is 33 weeks old. Her face and comb are still pink. She has no interest in the nesting boxes. With the days getting shorter I'm not even sure I'll get an egg from her until Spring. On the other hand my Leghorn that is the same age lays nearly every day and has done so since mid June.

I gave a couple pullets to my neighbor last year. One lays fine. The other was 10 months old before she laid her first egg. She laid 3 and hasn't laid another one.

1 person likes this.
  9. Olivia walter

Olivia walter New Egg

Oct 15, 2012
    I wouldn't be to concerned about it. Some of my girls started around 40weeks. Once they start showing interest in the nesting box, they'll start laying within a week or couple of days. I would just give them some time. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    They need a balanced poultry ration available at all times.
    A little scratch grains once a day(not more than 10% of daily ration volume) as a treat.
    Oyster shells should not be mixed with any feed but left in a separate container available at all times for free choice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by