Why aren't my bantams laying?????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by monita, May 19, 2010.

1. monita

monita Songster

Oct 6, 2009
    Shelbyville, Tennessee
    I only have bantams in my coop and run.... I was getting approx. 2-3 eggs every other day up until about 2 weeks ago. Now I might get 1 egg a week out of 7 hens. I have 3 silkies, 2 oegb, and 2 seramas. I don't know why my hens have all but stopped laying. any ideas???? Please help!!

2. awalters0815

awalters0815 Songster

Mar 31, 2010
    Plainfield, IN
    Have they lost weight? Any change in the weather? Any change in what you feed them? Have you checked them for mites? Did you move their coop?

3. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Are they about to go broody? I have had 3 of my bantams go broody in the last two weeks. It's that time of year.

4. monita

monita Songster

Oct 6, 2009
    Shelbyville, Tennessee
    no weight loss... no food or coop change... weather has been GROSS. Cold and rain for days then hot and sunny for days. not broody. no mites. they act normal just no eggs.

5. schellie69

schellie69 Songster

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    could be molt or just maybe they are hiding them, sometimes one will lay a egg on the coop floor and the others cover it while scratching just a thought how old are the bantams, they could just be adjusting to the weather it is hard to say chickens do the darn est things sometimes.

6. monita

monita Songster

Oct 6, 2009
    Shelbyville, Tennessee
    they are not in molt. my first thought was that they were hiding the eggs and have completely gutted the entire coop to find out if there were any eggs hidden in any nooks or crannies. No eggs to be found. I have even changed out the straw in the floor. still no eggs. the oegb are approx. a year old, the seramas and 1 silkie are 6 months old, and the 2 other silkies are maybe a year and a half old. I hope it is just the weather. i can find no other reason for them to have stopped laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by