Why aren't my chickens laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dhnoq, Sep 17, 2012.

1. dhnoq

dhnoq New Egg

May 27, 2011
    Help, I have 3 white leghorns who are about a year and a half old, I've been getting an egg everyday from all three of them since they turned around 7 months old. Late last winter I got two reds and they started laying at about 7 months also. So for a few months I got between 3 and 5 eggs every day. For the past 3 weeks I have not got one egg. My white leghorns seem to be molting so I know that could do it but why aren't the red laying? I have checked for snakes and for them eating their own eggs and that doesn't seem to be the case. Any ideas?

2. TNBlacktails

TNBlacktails Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2012
    Union County Tennessee
    Has there been a drastict change in weather? Here in TN weve recently had some real bad storms pash through ,and all the people I know that have chickens none are currently laying soo.... that may just be your problem if youve had a change in weather .

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    The reds are probably molting as well - it just may not be as severe. Sometimes it can be hard to tell they are molting.

4. yinzerchick

yinzerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    E.Texas
    Are there any sure fire ways to tell if they're molting? I have a couple I suspect might be, but then again they just might be scraggly looking. I thought when they molt, it was suppose to be real obvious?

5. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Some hens go through a light molt. It can be as minor as some tail feathers missing. I have LOTS of hens molting right now - some have bald heads, some have bald butts, some have missing tail feathers, some have bare chests.

6. dhnoq

dhnoq New Egg

May 27, 2011
    We have had alot of rain but it's not a change because that has been going on all summer here. They weren't laying on really bad days but they would on the nice days in between.

7. dhnoq

dhnoq New Egg

May 27, 2011
    I am sure the white leghorns are molting because there are white feathers everywhere and they are the right age. But the reds are only about 8 or 9 months.

8. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    The exact same thing happen to my leghorn last year. She stopped laying and at first I just noticed a few feathers here and there around the coop. Eventually all her tail feathers came out and she looked really silly. She started laying again no problems after.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  9. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I've had a few 9 month old girls molt - not a heavy molt, but enough to cause them to quit laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by