Why Aren't my chickens laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by K R 2709, Nov 2, 2013.

1. K R 2709

K R 2709 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2013
    BC, Canada
    I have 8 6month old pullets not a single egg yet. Is something wrong?
    Thanks,

2. sepaditty1

sepaditty1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    I'm in the sammme situation. I tell myself that its the time of year and short days. But its more likely that there's a hidden nest somewhere that I Just haven't found yet.

3. sepaditty1

sepaditty1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Can you tell I have a sticky m key?

4. rainlips

rainlips Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2013
    Northern michigan

I have some that are close to 10 months are are not laying. I'm starting to think I have defective hens :( this is my first go-around with chickens, I'm sure some of the more experienced peeps will have some insight!
    Hopefully the near future brings us lots of eggs!

5. K R 2709

K R 2709 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2013
    BC, Canada

6. clairegareth

clairegareth Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2013
    stourport england
    it depends on how many hours of daylight they have,,,they need at least 16 hours really to lay,,,in the winter the laying cools off,,,I have a Rhode rock who shoyld be laying but isn't and I also have various others that will 1 day and then not for around 4 days so it all varies on breed aswell

7. clairegareth

Oct 20, 2013
    stourport england
    Their comb and wattles should be a deep red aswell and soon as they are then they should start soon 6 months is only a guideline as to when they start

8. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    They'll probably start squatting before they begin laying eggs. It will depend on the breeds you have, and how much good daylight they have (I've always read 12-14hrs of daylight is needed). One of my chickens started laying around 17wks of age and another waited until they were 27-28wks old. You can never tell. darn animals! They'll squat, get big red wattles and comb, and might even become more friendlier (mine did). They might start laying soon after they get the signs listed above, or they might wait weeks and weeks.

9. clairegareth

Oct 20, 2013
    stourport england
    I have 7 hens,,, and none are laying they been in past but its now colder here and shorter days so couod that be the reason x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by