Why arent my chickens laying?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CntryGrl1964, Nov 30, 2014.

1. CntryGrl1964

CntryGrl1964 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2014
    A few months ago, the hens moulted. No problem. This has happened before. Egg production went down a little but was still getting about 8 to 9 eggs a day. Now, two months later, Im only getting 1 egg from about 17 hens. The hens age range from a little over a year to about three years, but during the spring, I was getting almost two dozen total. Now its dropped to nothing. I have also had chickens drop dead for no reason. One day they are fine, the next, the are lethargic, then I find them dead the next day or later that day. I have wormed them, treated them for mites, given them vitamins. Their coop is clean, they get fresh water. They free range. Once in a while I had found brown runny poop, so I treated them for coccydia just in case. Still find brown poop. Not everyone, just a few.
    I talked to a chicken vet. She thought maybe I had some sort of microplasmia<sp> going on and just advised to get rid of everyone and get new chickens. But if its in the ground, the new hens will get it, too, right? I have looked at thier combs and even the younger hens combs are light pink, not red like they should be. The black Minorcas, who are the youngest, about a year and a half, should not have pink combs. Everyone eats good, seem perky, but only one egg. Any ideas?

CntryGrl1964

2. AAA Breeders

AAA Breeders New Egg

Nov 30, 2014
    Lebanon Beirout
    Since it's a lay problem then you have to think intestinal problems. That's the origine of non-laying. Trying on a large spectre antibiotic would do fine since you had drop dead cases. Had some myself but everything worked out fine when I used Gentamicine. It's the best intestinal antibiotic I use and from which I get excellent results. @CntryGrl1964

3. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    After moulting they can stop laying for weeks.
    The wheather may be a problem.

4. CntryGrl1964

Nov 30, 2014
    Where do I get that? Before I do, I am trying to keep from using antibiotics to keep them organic. I hated using medicine for the coccydia, thinking that might be the problem, and then kind of mad after using it when it didnt work.
    How much do you use? Dosage?
    I am going to get some of that poop and get it analyzed since nothing is working so far. I just dont understand why only a few chickens are doing it.
    Thank you for the advice. Maybe this will do the trick.

5. ThePRfan

Sep 27, 2014
    Well since its laying issue,id try oster shell.
    Why?
    It assists the situation.How?
    Because,it helps egg production,and etc.
    Your birds might be sick or even stresssed.Any adult hens,roosters,dogs?
    I would also like more info/pics of/on the hens.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  6. CntryGrl1964

Nov 30, 2014
    I give them oyster shell. I give them the top of the line feed and right now they are getting 22% protein layer pellets. I have them on light until 9pm. They have been wormed, twice. They have been treated for coccydia just in case. I have had their poop tested. Nothing in it to indicate worms or coccyx. They have been over moult for two months. Im stumped. Im only getting one or two eggs a week from almost 30 hens. <Shrugs>

7. ThePRfan

Sep 27, 2014
    Any rpos

8. CntryGrl1964

Nov 30, 2014
    Whats that?

9. CntryGrl1964

Nov 30, 2014
    Whats that?